Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some new bits

• Please log in to reply

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Oh well, i had the thing in front of me today, just looks like new and hate to throw it!

All sorted here mate! Card should come tomorrow but on board can run CoD UO multiplayer, that'll do for now.
Had a few probs on starting the pc but it turned out to be pretty straight forward in the end. Sometimes i think i make things harder than they should be. ;)
The tower had all the holes in all the right places for the relocating MB mounting screws.
Happy bunny here. No doubt something will crop up.
Thanks again Phil. Really appreciate your help. (on more than one occasion)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are most welcome Sking0 :)

Let us know your opinions on the upgrades and any problems give us a shout :thumbsup:

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Started the pc this morning and the 'Fan Noise' that started this whole adventure was there again. :angry
At least i know now that it is either the tower cooling fan or the PSU. Going to put a new cooling fan in and see what happens after that.
Just typed in 'Validate Windows' in search and windows was validated. No phone call necessary.
Will let you know about the fan noise.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Can you describe the fan noise for us please.

RE the Windows validation :thumbsup:

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Well, It only happens when the pc has been off for a longer period of time, say 10 hours or more, any less that that and i don't hear that noise.
It just sounds like a fan running and full speed and maybe a bad bearing noise. Hard to explain really. It starts when i turn the pc on and it stops after all of the desktop and start up programs have loaded. Then it just slows down and sounds normal.
It never happens if i just re boot the pc. Only after periods of being switched off. I will try and record it next time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Fan noises can be difficult to pinpoint and I`m afraid there are only a couple of suggestions that I have and they are quite limited, after disconnecting all of the power cords and grounding yourself check each fan that you can easily access by seeing if they move left to right etc on their spindle, if there is any movement in a fan then the bearings may have gone.

You should not do the following test with CPU cooling fan (obvious I know) but you can temporarily disconnect the chassis fan/s, see if the noise appears either right away or after you have connected a particular case fan.

The PSU fan is not one that can be safely checked so I would suggest that you only put your ear near to the back of the computer case, turn on the power and see if the noise is coming from the PSU.

Also worth mentioning is the possibility that the noise is coming from the HDD so have a listen to that as well, some HDDs work best when they are warm but can also be noisy when cold.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
The only two fans that are from the previous set up are the psu and the chassis fan. I only have 1 chassis fan, it is right next to the psu which is why i have trouble working out which one it is that is making the noise..
I was going to try disconnecting the chassis fan but wasn't sure if it was safe. I will do that for the next few start ups and let you know the results.
Earlier in the year i bought a brand new HDD because i suspected that was the culprit. It made no difference, the noise was still there, so i can rule out the HDD.
As it happens randomly i will have to do this for a few days. I am just hoping it is just the chassis fan as if i need a new psu i will basically have just bought a completely new pc. I recorded it this morning, it wasn't as bad as it is sometimes, the problem is when we listened to the playback it sounded much worse than it actually sounds, if you get me. Thought that might be misleading.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Disconnecting the chassis fan for a short time will be fine :thumbsup:

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Good news is i located the source. Bad news is , it is the psu :-( When it is on it sounds quiet and just runs. It only makes that noise when starting the pc.
I am looking online now, surely you can just replace a fan?
Not bothered about the warranty. I already voided that when i took the fan out last week. I have seen quite a lot of people online complaining about the CX600 fan noises.

Edited by Sking0, 28 October 2013 - 06:01 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
If the PSU is still under warranty I strongly suggest that you return it as there are no user replaceable parts.

Corsair didn`t get it quite right with the CX600 I`m afraid.

Advertisements

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Out of warranty. :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts