Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 cannot load

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hello pomognetemi

I thought it wise to ask about the OS installation due to your earlier reply;

I am not sure which letters to use. (I did the clean installation 7 months ago and I remember that this part with the partitions was not very clear to me, then)

From the command prompt see if you can run SFC - offline option.

sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\windows

Advertisements

pomognetemi

pomognetemi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello Phill,

I just wrote only 'sfc /scannow' and pressed enter and I got a message, that I have to restart the computer, so some repair work can take place. I restarted and BINGO! Windows started.

Once windows started I got another message that I am only with temporary profile, no access to users files etc... and that I have to restart the computer again.

I did and now I am going through the recovery process again, but this time the computer is showing me (before it was not showing anything) Operating system on disk D:(as you suggested)

Edited by pomognetemi, 27 October 2013 - 09:04 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hello pomognetemi

Glad to hear that you have made progress :thumbsup:

I will look out for your results

pomognetemi

pomognetemi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello Phill,
Thank you so much for your assistance.

About the OS clean re-installation you are asking me about: I did it 7 months ago and don't remember details - I was following Microsoft's step by step instructions (with the screen shots) and most of them were OK, but I found the explanation about dividing the disk and creating partitions quite unclear. What I know is that I have only one hard disk(physically speaking) and while re-installing I had to create 2 parts(partitions) - a smaller one for the OS and a bigger for everything else. I believe this is what I did. I am sorry I can't tell you much more than that. You can see below the results of 'bcdedit', if they can help in this sense. This time the command showed results (when I tried it the previous day it didn't show anything).

I did a lot of work today and have some results. I am also learning many things, meanwhile.

First, I booted again with the Windows DVD. From the command prompt in System Recovery I ran 'bcdedit' and this time I got this(shortened):

Windows Boot Manager
identifier - <bootmgr>
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager

Windows Boot Loader
device partition=D:
path \Windows\System32\winload.exe
osdevice partition=D:

Then I ran 'chkdsk d:/r, with the result, summarized, that many, many, many files were repaired, but some not.
I got a message that there was system repair pending, requiring reboot. I did reboot with the DVD again and was taken to Windows Error Recovery screen. What I found out is that on both keyboards (wireless and wired) I can press enter (to confirm that I reboot from DVD), but when I have to choose a recovery mode(safe or something else) the arrow keys on both of them don't work. So, I waited and Windows started by itself in normal mode, but I was logged in with a temporary profile.

Now, from inside Windows I ran 'sfc /scannow (without any parameters). The result; Windows Resourse Protection found corrupt files and was unable to fix some of them. I am attaching part of the whole log file - only with the files which could not be repaired -'scan results.txt'.

It is still very confusing for me which drive letters to use in either of the commands (sfc and chkdsk). I don't know if my boot and Windows directories are different. This is why I ran only: 'sfc /scannow'. Also I have no idea if dual/multi booting has anything to do with my computer system. At least this is what I understood from the explanation in "SFC /SCANNOW : Run in Command Prompt at Boot: For those that are dual/multi booting or if the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) does not 'see' the Windows Operating System needing repair, see Method Two below." I believe the latter case applies to me, because when I was going through the Recovery and was supposed to check the letter of the drive - no Operating system/Partition/Location showed up. ( my post #23)

Next I did what you asked me to do in your post #8, but I couldn't do until now - I got the Disk Management Results and attach them as well: 'Disk Management screenshot.jpg'

Then I downloaded and ran DriverMax and attach these results too as 'Scan Results for Driver Updates"(5 screenshots).

And at last I tried to reboot the computer without Windows DVD and the same happened as in my first post: I got to the Windows screen; the process stopped - the screen became black, I pressed the re-start button and Windows started (with temporary profile).

I am soo sorry this post is so long, but I hope the information will be useful, and now that I can communicate from the computer itself - maybe I can provide extra information if needed.

I am aware how difficult and time-consuming it is to try to help from distance someone with my level of knowledge... You spent so much time with my problem over the weekend.
So, remaining very, very grateful for all the help I get, I will slow it down and take it just step by step from now on.
:rolleyes: It is just a computer, isn't it, nobody' life is at stake...So, we will take it easier...

Attached Thumbnails

• Disk Management screenshot.jpg
  • Scan results for driver updates - page 1.jpg
  • Scan Results for driver updates - page 2.jpg
  • Scan Results for driver updates - page 3.jpg
  • Scan Results for driver updates - page 4.jpg
  • Scan Results for driver updates - page 5.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by pomognetemi, 29 October 2013 - 03:37 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi pomognetemi

Your HDD screenshot shows that your OS is on the same partition as your personal data, not a good idea as that is how the Windows files can become corrupt or deleted by accident.

To help with partitions please see Here

SFC and chkdsk should be run on the C: drive as that is where the OS system is, I don`t wish to weigh you down with techno jargon but an explanation of what the boot loader partition D: does is "the pre-windows boot sequence is unable to read encrypted data off a disk, hence it's unable to boot into Windows, by making use of a small partition to hold the bootmanager which can de-crypt the volume the OS is able to load".

Can I ask you to post a Speccy url for us, please see Here

Please update the third and fourth drivers on the second DriverMax screenshot (the Intel chipset and the SMBus).

You are most welcome and yes please do take your time with this and don`t feel that you have to respond right away as none of us can be here 24/7 <_<

pomognetemi

pomognetemi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello Phill,

Thanks for your reply.

Here is the URL;

http://speccy.pirifo...7IzxmpmZ58VecQ1

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hello pomognetemi

Thanks for the url which does not show anything untowards (there is an odd power reading which is nothing to do with Windows).

Consider splitting the C: drive so that Windows is separate from you personal information, you can use a free software such as GParted for this, please see Here once you have done this if the problem is still present run SFC on the C: drive as this time there will only be your OS on it.

Have you installed the two drivers that I suggested.

pomognetemi

pomognetemi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi Phill,

I installed only the SMBus, but because it shows 3 more,
maybe that is why I cant update the second one.

This is a screenshot of the updated ones.

Attached Thumbnails

• Updated drivers.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
If you select the "more options" tab do the dates of the other 3 options precede the present one.

just checking, do you recall from my reply #8

you are only allowed to download two drivers a day for free

pomognetemi

pomognetemi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Yes, I remember you told me that I can download for free only 2 drivers per day.
Today I first chose to download the driver for the SMbus. After the download I got a message that I have to restart first and I did. I thought that after the restart I will be able to download the second one, but I couldn't.

And when I checked all the drivers again I saw that 2 extra drivers were downloaded. I didn't choose to download them. Why this happened I don't know. Were they automatically chosen for download, just because they follow the chosen one in the list?

I am not sure for which driver you are asking the question: "If you select the "more options" tab do the dates of the other 3 options precede the present one."
If your question is about the SNBus, which I already downloaded - all dates shown(4 of them) are 25 July 2013.
If you are asking about Intel®G33/G31....which I could not download - then the dates are: 25 July 2013/25 July 2013/25 July 2013/09 July 2013.

For the other 2 drivers that were downloaded(HID compliant and USB mass storage) there is no additional information.

Edited by pomognetemi, 29 October 2013 - 02:21 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Were they automatically chosen for download, just because they follow the chosen one in the list?

They should not have been as you manually choose the order in which you wish to install the driver updates.

I am not sure for which driver you are asking the question: "If you select the "more options" tab do the dates of the other 3 options precede the present one."
If your question is about the SNBus, which I already downloaded - all dates shown(4 of them) are 25 July 2013.

You sometimes get alternative versions of the drivers suggested and they can also have been released on different dates.

pomognetemi

pomognetemi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
My mistake, Phill, sorry.

I downloaded the second driver you asked me to. Here is the screenshot.
I was not aware that I have to enter into my DriverMax account for each driver download.

What happened this time, though, is that after I installed this second driver I got black screen,
then blue screen, then the system began re-starting by itself , went through the recovery screen,
and after 28 seconds Windows loaded normally(temporary profile).

Attached Thumbnails

• Both dricers installed.jpg

Edited by pomognetemi, 29 October 2013 - 03:25 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
No problem pomognetemi :thumbsup:

Have you considered splitting the C: drive so that Windows is on it`s own partition.

pomognetemi

pomognetemi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Yes, Phill, I have.

I opened the website of the Gnome Partition Editor, but I need to do some reading there, because I am not familiar at all with the terminology.
They offer there 3 different architectures for download... and images etc...I don't know what I am supposed to download at all.

Regretably, I have no more time right now. I will continue later on.

Thank you so much, Phill.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
No problem as it is getting late here in the UK :thumbsup:

Another free partition software available Here