Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hoping for advice and information.

• Please log in to reply

Irunside

Irunside

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello and thank for checking in on this topic first and foremost. I just registered here today after a few weeks of debating what step to go to next regarding a new gaming rig. I have been using an older iMac 2008 model for the last few years and have decided to go back to a windows machine since these days most of my computer time is gaming having retired recently I want to improve that experience. I have no experience with computer building and the most I've done regarding computer internals has been upgrading stock ram in all my machines. I plan on using windows 8.1 since its been long enough that I have been using OSX that no matter what windows OS I install it will be a learning experience. I still havent decided if I want to try tackling the build myself or have the system build by cyberpower or some similar company. I have watched several youtube guides on builds and read the guide stickied at the top of this forum and admit it looks fairly simple. One concern I have is that I am paralyzed and a little worried that I may have different or worse issues with static electricity than most building which kinda makes me think I will go with a cyberpower build.

I have a few builds configured at there website and planning spending around 2000.00 dollars or near it before tax/shipping. For a monitor I will be shopping at amazon most likely since it seems to me there prices are slightly better than buying it through cyberpower. I will post a few links to different builds below that I have configured and hopefully get some input on them. I am probably overbuilding slightly but I am doing so with the intentions of minimal upgrades required for around 3-5years so please take that into consideration when offering advice. thanks again and I look forward to carrying on a discussion and cant wait to make my buy/build and type a thank you post on it for these forums as I am sure after reading around here this morning that you all will be able to help me out.

http://www.cyberpowe...om/saved/1FH20N

This is an example of a configuration utilizing crossfire grafx cards if that would benefit me using a single monitor.
http://www.cyberpowe...om/saved/1FH1T0

This setup is built using the new r9 290 grafx card and wont be possible until around the 1st of november.
http://www.cyberpowe...om/saved/1FH00L

Again im still in the shopping and research phase right now hoping with your help I can make the best decision possible for my needs. Not sure if I left anything out but wanted to post this to get started with help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: Irunside

Sorry that you have waited longer than we would have liked before you received a reply :(

Personally I feel that rather than purchase from a company such as Cyberpower you would do better if you selected your own list of parts, ordered them online and if you are uneasy about doing the build yourself having a local tech or tech store do the build for you, this way you only purchase what you know that you will use + you have control over what brands are used (system builders often use no name brand PSUs for example in order to keep build costs down).

I will be happy to put you a list of parts together if you tell us what the main use of the computer will be.

Irunside

Irunside

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well I appreciate the reply but after waiting for a few days after i made the first post I went ahead and ordered the build I had configured through cyberpower. WHat finally convinced me to go ahead was seeing that my parts shopping for same items I am having them use in the build I was actually saving money with the sale they had going on. I really do thank you for the offer of help and wish i had been able to talk with you more before i made my descision but it didnt work out that way. Anyway if you or anyone else is interested in how it turns out perhaps I can do some sort of review and post photos to let you all see how it turns out. I am sure I didnt go toward max effeciency in my build but i think I will be happy with it for the next few years as a primary computer.

Thanks again, have a good one and ill check back once i receive my order.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
No problem and thanks for the update Irunside :happy:

I hope that your purchase turns out well and any feedback that may help others will be most welcome :thumbsup: