OK! After experiencing this trouble, I hope you and your girl friend could be more careful about your external hard drive, especially when it is in use. You should never forget to back up everything important at least on two hard drives in case of similar data loss problems.
But, now, what you should do is really simple. Just follow my steps:
1. Do NOT click "yes" to format the drive in case that the formatting process makes things worse.
2. Do NOT attempt to write anything new on this hard drive in case of any data loss.
3. Download data recovery software to help you. There are many data recovery tools out there. But, no all of them could be efficient and useful enough. You should pay much attention to opt for a proper one.
So, if you are interested, you can firstly try some data recovery freeware available online that always work much more efficiently than some paid ones, such as Recuva, TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.
4. Do not save or back up all the restored data on the same phone in case of any data loss.
5. After the data recovery process, simply format this drive to see whether it can work functionally as before.
I hope my words can help you out! Good luck!
Thank you for your steps! My girl friend was really afraid to lose all her contained data inside this hard drive and desperately needed a way out. Your answer was really helpful to us, especially the listed data recovery freeware.
Now, we have restored all her wanted data back.
Thank you very, very, much!!!!