Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with OE on Win XP Pro Sp2

• Please log in to reply

rgene

rgene

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I send or forward and email the progress bar goes to the max and hangs. The mail resends multiple times, up to 200 reported by one user. I have disabled AV scanning, tried to move my SENT BOX to another folder, but couldn't do it; then the files won't open either "can't be displayed." errors. 230GB disk space. Help!

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
First and foremost, welcome to Geeks To Go's forums! I hope you stick around after we've assisted you in resolving this issue, as there is a lot of great members and information available on Geeks To Go's site. Now that the pleasantries have been said, let's take a look at your issue and see what we can do to resolve it!  
STEP ONE: Gathering Intel With MiniToolBox
  • At this point and time I'd like you to get the utility MiniToolBox and run it with the following checked items.
    • List content of Hosts
    • List last 10 Event Viewer Errors
    • List Installed Programs
    • List Devices
    • Only-Problems (leave it checked)
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory Size
  • List Minidump Files

After you've just the above items, please then hit GO. Once it's done running, which normally doesn't take too long, it will have a text or log file pop up. Please copy & paste that into a reply.
STEP TWO: Temp File Cleaner
As a good rule of thumb, I like to get rid of temp/junk files off any and all systems I work on. Reason being that I've seen some build up of caches and junk files cause all sorts of chaos on multiple occasions, so why not just take a few minutes to clean the PC up.However before you download and run the program, please make sure you save all work and close out of all programs accept your browser (which also will need to be closed down after the download, before running the program).

Now that we've saved and closed out of all your applications/programs, please download Temp File Cleaner (TFC). Once that is done, close out of all your open applications/programs and then please 'Right Click' and select Run As Administrator from the Context Menu. Please let this run, uninterrupted. Once it's finished, it may ask you to reboot your machine - If it does, please allow it to reboot at this time and after Windows loads back up move on to the next step. If it does not require a reboot, please move on to the next step now. However please take note of the red number, displaying amount of removals, and post it in a reply. STEP THREE: Outlook Express Repair
  • I have quoted a few repair techniques for Outlook Express below, all of which came from the Microsoft Knowledge Base post that can be located HERE.

Re-register Outlook Express
    Damaged or missing entries in the Windows registry can prevent Outlook Express from being recognized as the default e-mail client. That it turn can cause odd behavior when replying to a newsgroup message or clicking an e-mail link on a Web page. A simple procedure causes Outlook Express to rewrite its main registry keys and so corrects such issues.

• Click Start, and then click Run.
  • In the Open box, type msimn /reg, and then click OK.
    (Note that you will not see anything happen.)
  • In Internet Explorer click Options on the Tools menu.
  • Click the Programs tab and select Outlook Express as the default e-mail client and as the default news client. You can change those later if you wish.

Now restart your computer. Test out your Outlook Express and if you are still having issues please move on to the quoted repair attempt below...

Re-register libraries
Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs) are files that contain functions that may be shared by other programs, such as recognizing hyperlinks, displaying rich content, and so forth. These specific DLLs are used by Outlook Express, and can cause glitches in the visual display if they are damaged. Re-registering a DLL using regsvr32 is similar to reinstalling those functions and thus makes sure they are installed and working correctly.

• Click Start, and then click Run.
  • In the Open box, type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.
  • Repeat step 1 for each of the following commands:
    regsvr32 mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 browseui.dll
    regsvr32 msjava.dll

After running through all the above repair attempts, please now reboot your system and attempt to use your Outlook Express once again. If the issue has been resolved, do not do the below repair attempt. If it has not been resolved, follow the next step please.

Create new identity
This will create a new message store folder as well as all new registry keys. This should not be necessary unless our previous efforts have failed to correct the problems.

• Export your e-mail and news accounts in Outlook Express so that you can import them into a new Identity.
    • Click Accounts on the Outlook Express Tools menu.
    • Click the Mail tab and select the default account.
    • Click the Export button and select a location for the exported file.
    • Make sure the extension remains "iaf" (for Internet account file).
    • Repeat steps B and C for all accounts.
    • Click the News tab and repeat steps C and D for all accounts.
    • After all mail and news accounts have been exported, click Close.
  • On the File menu, click Identities, and then click Add New Identity.
  • Type a name for the new Identity, and then click OK.
A new Identity allows you to start Outlook Express with all default settings, a useful way to work around registry or file damage.
  • Click Yes to switch to the new Identity.
    Clic
  • k Cancel to close the New Account wizard. If you are prompted to import settings or messages, select “Do not import at this time” or Cancel.
  • Click Accounts on the Tools menu.
  • Click the Import button and select the first *.iaf file from step 1. Repeat until all accounts have been imported.
  • Import the mail messages from your old Identity.
  • On the File menu, click Import, and then click Messages.
  • Select Microsoft Outlook Express 6 from the list of programs, and then click Next.
  • Select the name of the Identity to import, and then click OK.

Once again, reboot your computer and see if your Outlook Express issue has been resolved at this time. Please post back with any and all issues you are still having or issues you had while following these instructions. Once I hear back from you on this all, I will be more than happy to assist you further at that time. [/list]