Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP opens and reopens again... [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

2 preceeding screens, maybe it can help :

Thanks, let me see if I can fix that...

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi Jo,

Download this copy of SeaTools burn it to a CD and try to boot, lets see if this one works in your machine.

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Hi Jo,

Download this copy of SeaTools burn it to a CD and try to boot, lets see if this one works in your machine.

burn it as an image this time also ? => Yes, found the answer when I clicked on the file...

Edited by Jo21a, 14 November 2013 - 12:56 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

burn it as an image this time also ? => Yes, found the answer when I clicked on the file...

Exactly. :)

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Good news 1 : it worked, I don't know how you managed to but seetools for dos has worked properly :)
Good news 2 : the PC passed the 2 tests :)

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Good news 1 : it worked, I don't know how you managed to but seetools for dos has worked properly :)
Good news 2 : the PC passed the 2 tests :)

1: I'm old school and know about DOS problems... :)
2: Very good news indeed. :thumbsup:

The Bad News are that we didn't find yet the source of the problem!

I should test the RAM with Memtest86. Download one of the Windows Images for CD, USB or floppy according to the support you can use.
Boot the computer from the CD/USB flash drive and you will see a screen similar to this one:
Posted Image
Let the test run until you see the message: Pass Complete...

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
The test was running, already at least 66% had occurred without problem. I left the Pc for 2 minutes, and when I came back the pc had shut down by itself...
Now I have reopened it and relainched the test

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
This time it has shut down at 33%

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it running in windows or from the boot disk?

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

so I suppose we can call this a good news this time ?

Advertisements

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Is it running in windows or from the boot disk?

from the boot CD

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

so I suppose we can call this a good news this time ?

Yes now we have something to work on. Bad news for you because something is broken...

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
When the computer shutdown like that it could be a heat problem or eventually a bad PSU...

You tell me that the machine have the cover open, can you visually check that all the coolers are working freely without any fuzz on them.
Make sure you check all the coolers CPU, Case, PSU and graphic card, some of them can be missing in your machine.

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Still difficult to evaluate how bad... So I understand probably smthing linked to the memory. You seem to think that the windows update that was the start of all this, was maybe not the real cause, that cause being the 'broken' something. But I am trying to have answers probably too fast, no ?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Still difficult to evaluate how bad... So I understand probably smthing linked to the memory. You seem to think that the windows update that was the start of all this, was maybe not the real cause, that cause being the 'broken' something. But I am trying to have answers probably too fast, no ?

If there are problems with the memory, files can get corrupted when written to the disk generating errors not related to the fact you are installing new files...

Do you remember exactly how much memory is installed in the machine? How many dimms of memory you have installed?
I have seen some cases with 2 dimms, one of them stops being detected by the motherboard and this can provoke all kinds of problems. When this happens Windows will not report the full amount of RAM installed.