Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP opens and reopens again... [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

When the computer shutdown like that it could be a heat problem or eventually a bad PSU...

You tell me that the machine have the cover open, can you visually check that all the coolers are working freely without any fuzz on them.
Make sure you check all the coolers CPU, Case, PSU and graphic card, some of them can be missing in your machine.

cover open... In fact almost closed, just to be able to take off the hdd and put it back easily.
There is no abnormal heat, for me it is the test that has caused the shutdown, it had never occurred like that before!
I will let the pc open this night and will tell you tomorrow morning if it is still open. Ok ?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get some pics of the inside of the system so Sleepydude and I can see how bad it is please.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

When the computer shutdown like that it could be a heat problem or eventually a bad PSU...

You tell me that the machine have the cover open, can you visually check that all the coolers are working freely without any fuzz on them.
Make sure you check all the coolers CPU, Case, PSU and graphic card, some of them can be missing in your machine.

cover open... In fact almost closed, just to be able to take off the hdd and put it back easily.
There is no abnormal heat, for me it is the test that has caused the shutdown, it had never occurred like that before!
I will let the pc open this night and will tell you tomorrow morning if it is still open. Ok ?

The memory test stress the machine if the machine shutdowns it's because there is a hardware problem somewhere.
Because the test run's outside windows we know for sure the problem isn't "Windows fault".

Next, tell me how many dimms of memory installed?
Posted Image

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Still difficult to evaluate how bad... So I understand probably smthing linked to the memory. You seem to think that the windows update that was the start of all this, was maybe not the real cause, that cause being the 'broken' something. But I am trying to have answers probably too fast, no ?

If there are problems with the memory, files can get corrupted when written to the disk generating errors not related to the fact you are installing new files...

Do you remember exactly how much memory is installed in the machine? How many dimms of memory you have installed?
I have seen some cases with 2 dimms, one of them stops being detected by the motherboard and this can provoke all kinds of problems. When this happens Windows will not report the full amount of RAM installed.

I couldn't say. In 'system' it says 1GB Ram, I think it was like that at the origin...

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

I couldn't say. In 'system' it says 1GB Ram, I think it was like that at the origin...

Yes I know the system is reporting 1GB but its only 1 Dimm or 2x512MB or 4x256MB?

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Well, this is not at all my specialty, but I think there are 2.
Here is the photo, but I think it is correct.

Attached Thumbnails

• D945DC85-A525-4F88-AFD1-CDC359B10949.JPG

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

and on the one at the top it is written 512MB

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

and on the one at the top it is written 512MB

Ok, from the photo I can see the machine needs cleaning!
To clean the PC you should disconnect from power and use a compressed air can.

Video about cleaning Desktop or Laptop...

Edited by SleepyDude, 14 November 2013 - 05:56 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:thumbsup: ;)

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hello,
I found the compressed air and followed your instructions. The PC is now super clean inside.
I wondered, to see if there is a problem with the memory, can I remove one of the 2 memory bars and do the Memtest ? Then if the test is good, I would do the same with the 2nd memory bar ?
Jo

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
YES :thumbsup:

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Test memory 1 : passed
Test memory 2 : passed
Then test both memories together : passed

Maybe a good thing to make a point on what is still not working "permanently" : when I restart the PC, it does not remember the screen resolution, each time it starts in 640x480. For the rest, everything works properly...

For the rest, there have been since a month 3 erratic behaviors that you know :
- Medion screen once at startup, the PC had "forgotten" startup parameters
- After having moved the PC while it was running, everything was blocked. I had to force shutdown, then at startup again a Medion screen, nor mouse nor keyboard were responding, same with non USB mouse/KB. At next startup, everything was correctly working.
- During memory test, PC has shut down by itself (twice)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So is it just the screen resolution or are the others also not working correctly?

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

So is it just the screen resolution or are the others also not working correctly?

Now it is just the screen resolution. Each time I restart the PC, I have to setup again a normal resolution.
The other "problems" occurred only each at a certain moment. But they had never happened before the initial problem (Pc was booting and booting again after a windows update)

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi Jo,

I'm glad the memory problem is gone :thumbsup:

Now about the other issues...

I know you have several user accounts on the machine, if you have one with Administrator privileges I would like you to logon with that one and try to change the screen resolution, restart the computer and logon again using the same account. Does the resolution stays?