Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP opens and reopens again... [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Hi Jo,

Please download and install User Profile Hive Cleanup Service let's see if it helps with your problem.

Also I would like to know what is the Graphic card your computer have so we can search for an updated driver...

• Open Device Manager (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc)
  • expand the Display Adapters category, post the name of the Graphic Card
  • right click on the Card name and click Properties > Tab Details > On the Property box select Device Instance Id
  • Copy & Paste the values on the box to your Reply

Graphic card : NVIDIA GeForce 6700 XL
Device Instance Id :
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0147&SUBSYS_03501462&REV_A2
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0147&SUBSYS_03501462
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0147&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0147&CC_0300

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi Jo,

Please download and install User Profile Hive Cleanup Service let's see if it helps with your problem.

Also I would like to know what is the Graphic card your computer have so we can search for an updated driver...

• Open Device Manager (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc)
  • expand the Display Adapters category, post the name of the Graphic Card
  • right click on the Card name and click Properties > Tab Details > On the Property box select Device Instance Id
  • Copy & Paste the values on the box to your Reply

Graphic card : NVIDIA GeForce 6700 XL
Device Instance Id :
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0147&SUBSYS_03501462&REV_A2
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0147&SUBSYS_03501462
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0147&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0147&CC_0300

Hi,

Please access the NVidia page here to download and install the latest driver for your card.

Let me know if the screen resolution is saved between restarts.

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I have installed the NVIDIA and also the UPHC software, but unfortunately the problem with the resolutionremains unchanged... :(

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I'd like to check the boot.ini file.
At the beginning, when I was using the HDD as external disk, I have made an adaptation to it by adding /sos.
I read that the command /basevideo can have as result that the screen resolution comes in 480x640. I don't think I have added that command, but I received help of my brother at that moment, so it is worth checking.
Can you indicate me where I can find the boot.ini file to see its content ?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

I'd like to check the boot.ini file.
At the beginning, when I was using the HDD as external disk, I have made an adaptation to it by adding /sos.
I read that the command /basevideo can have as result that the screen resolution comes in 480x640. I don't think I have added that command, but I received help of my brother at that moment, so it is worth checking.
Can you indicate me where I can find the boot.ini file to see its content ?

Ok, the boot.ini is at the root of the C: drive is an hidden and system file, a more simple way to check is to use msconfig
  • Press Posted Image and on the Run window type msconfig and press Enter
    Posted Image
  • click the BOOT.INI tab and make sure you don't have any check box marked like on the image above

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hello Ron and SleepyDude,
Good news !
Indeed, the option /bootlog, /basevideo and /sos were selected in the boot.ini
Sorry I haven't thought about checking this before !
So apart from the screen resolution, that is solved now, the PC has been working normally for a week.
Thank yu very much for all your help !

I'd like to ask you one last advice : there are plenty windows updates waiting, what is your opinion about installing them ? After what happened one month ago, I am quite reluctant...
Jo

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hello Ron and SleepyDude,
Good news !
Indeed, the option /bootlog, /basevideo and /sos were selected in the boot.ini
Sorry I haven't thought about checking this before !
So apart from the screen resolution, that is solved now, the PC has been working normally for a week.
Thank yu very much for all your help !

I'd like to ask you one last advice : there are plenty windows updates waiting, what is your opinion about installing them ? After what happened one month ago, I am quite reluctant...
Jo

Hi,

Very Good News indeed. Before installing new updates let me take a look at the updates released this month to check what they cover...

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi Jo,

Before installing the Updates create a new Restore Point then install everything except this two KB2862330 and KB2862335.
This month the updates are mainly for Internet Explorer they should be safe to install in your case.

Let me know the result.

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
usually, I do not install the updates concerning internet explorer, as I am using Google Chrome. Is it OK ?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

usually, I do not install the updates concerning internet explorer, as I am using Google Chrome. Is it OK ?

No, You should install all the updates for Internet Explorer also. Although you do not use IE the browser is deep integrated with Windows and running an outdated version of the program will make your system vulnerable to exploits and other kinds of threats.

Advertisements

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hello SleepyDude,
The installation of the windows updates occurred normally, and the PC still works properly :)
I think you can close the topic, your help has been very appreciated and I am happy to have recovered the PC and all the programmes, and also not to be forced to switch to windows8.
Jo

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the resolution issue resolved because as of 7 days ago it was the only issue not resolved. I don't see where it was resolved. If so can you explain what finally resolved that please.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Is the resolution issue resolved because as of 7 days ago it was the only issue not resolved. I don't see where it was resolved. If so can you explain what finally resolved that please.

Hi Ron,

It was boot.ini forcing the VGA mode, check post #185

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
AHH ok thanks for clearing that up Sleepydude. You both did a great job and I am happy to see everything is working correctly now. :thumbsup:

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

AHH ok thanks for clearing that up Sleepydude. You both did a great job and I am happy to see everything is working correctly now. :thumbsup:

You also did. It was team work :) :thumbsup: