Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet has been disconnecting after win 8 installation

• Please log in to reply

Ohhyaa

Ohhyaa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
After I recently replaced windows vista with windows 8.. (Fantastic upgrade) I've been having issues with my internet connectivity. Whenever I do something that is taxing on my internet such as loading long YouTube videos, or running servers, my internet will shut off. The connection will NOT return unless I unplug both my router and modem.... replug the modem and wait for it to cycle... then replug the router. I use a direct connection (ethernet). I pretty much just wiped my hard drive and I've done several virus scans.. so I doubt it's that... I heard something about my ports could be overloading...? Thank you in advance for any help.

-Scott

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
First and foremost, welcome to Geeks To Go's forums! I hope you stick around after we've assisted you in resolving this issue, as there is a lot of great members and information available on Geeks To Go's site. Now that the pleasantries have been said, let's take a look at your issue and see what we can do to resolve it!   Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and have them run through your lines with you. Also try to disconnect your router, then use the ethernet from the modem to directly plug into your machine. See if the issue persists then, which helps. Also do any other machines there cause this issue or is yours the only one?

Edited by PhrantiQ, 24 October 2013 - 07:40 AM.

Ohhyaa

Ohhyaa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for the welcome! I apologize for my late response as I had a very busy day. In order for me to accurately determine if it is just the router causing the issue, I might have to wait a couple of days because the problem only occurs maybe once per day. As for your question, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that my computer is the only machine that causes the issue. My sister laptop seems to have no affect on the connection. The issue also occurred only have I installed windows 8 on the computer.
Thanks again for the reply! I'll get back to you about the router.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Once per day? That's a awfully low count for it to be consistently over loading ports or taking up to much bandwidth... Specially if you do not believe anyone else is effected. Now when you posted you said 'whenever I do...", so just to clarify - it's not all the time but randomly?

Ohhyaa

Ohhyaa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, I get home around 6pm every day and I'm not always on my computer. So I don't think once a day is too low. There is no set way for me to trigger the problem, but it usually occurs while loading a video of some sort. Once my connectivity is down, it stay down until I unplug everything.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Once your activity is down, is everyone's or just yours on your network? Please follow this step to give us something to work with...

STEP ONE: MiniToolBox Information Gathering
  • At this point and time I'd like you to get the utility MiniToolBox and run it with the following checked items.
    • Flush DNS
    • Reset IE Proxy Settings
    • Reset FF Proxy Settings
    • List content of Hosts
    • List IP Configuration
    • List Winsock Entries
    • List last 10 Event Viewer Errors
    • List Installed Programs
    • List Devices
    • Only-Problems (leave it checked)
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory Size
  • List Minidump Files

After you've just the above items, please then hit GO. Once it's done running, which normally doesn't take too long, it will have a text or log file pop up. Please copy & paste that into a reply.
Once I see you've posted this, I'll then look through the results and see if anything stands out on your machine. The more we dig into this after your first post, the more and more I think it's your computer.