Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows XP

• Please log in to reply

leslier3

leslier3

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Please help! Our HP laptop had its hard drive replaced about 3 months ago. It was working fine, but now just gives us an error message on a black screen that says "operating system not found." We tried to use the recovery disks, but after a coulple of screens the first disk automatically ejected. I know it wasn't finished with the first disk. Any ideas? Thanks.

Advertisements

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
do u want anything on your computer if not try reinstalling windows :tazz:

leslier3

leslier3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Nothing is essential, but we didn't get a windows install disk when we bought the computer. It is incorporated into the system recovery disk, which won't run. Will it work to buy windows and just install it?

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
ok first off why wont your recovery disk work and don’t go out and buy a windows cd :tazz: i don’t want u wasting 100$ i will try and help you and then if i cant hopefully some one with MORE experience can ;)

leslier3

leslier3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't know why it won't work. There is a set of 5-6 CD's for recovery. I put in the first disk. It starts to run, goes through a couple of screens where I can click on things. Then, just when it should start to run, the screen says "eject!" and the disk ejects.

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
make sure disk is clean and have you tried inserting the 2cnd disk when this happens?

leslier3

leslier3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It looks clean. I didn't install the 2nd disk. I can try that. Could it be a virus or something?

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Try booting off the recovery CD.

Also, make sure that your BIOS is set to boot from CD.

Hit F1, F2 or Del on system start up to enter BIOS, and look for bootup options, and make sure CD-ROM is the first device...

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
dont think its virus :tazz: and blsimpson i think that if he was able to boot from the 1st cd his bios is set propely- but i could be wrong ;) ;) :tazz:

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Your right. I should have read the post better. Sorry. I thought it was running under windows.

Ok then. When it says eject! and ejects the disk, what happens after that? does the computer restart? or just hang there?

Advertisements

leslier3

leslier3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I will try all of that, since I am getting desperate! Someone mentioned the motherboard. Could that be the problem?

leslier3

leslier3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It's been a few days since I messed with it, but I believe it just "hangs there."

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hmm. it might be a bad disk..

What do the disks have written on them? does one say something like:
Used to restore the Opertaing system?

If it is not Disk one, try booting off that disk, as it is the one that has Windows on it..

leslier3

leslier3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I didn't notice (and I'm not at home now) what each disk said other than being numbered. I will check into that and see what they say, and see if any mention the operating system. The actual computer turns on. I get the hp logo, then it "thinks" for a couple minutes and that's when we get the "operating system not found" error message.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

HP places a hidden partition on the hard-drive the Recovery cd's require to reload.. Die to the fact you changed the hard-drive, that partition is no longer there thus, the Recovery cd's probably won't work.

Contact HP to see if they have a workaround for this!!

Murray