Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Software Help

• Please log in to reply

rhymin

rhymin

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I am going into the networking field, but instead of only reading textbooks, I was wondering if people can help me with things I can study on my own time. For now, I am looking for just types of software that people in I.T. networking would deal with. This could range from operating systems, ping programs, sniffers, protocol analyzers, and so on.

I am basically wondering if anyone can provide me with a long list of software that a network administrator would deal with (or hardware devices, security aspects). Anything that you think will help someone studying networking. This is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Don't have a long list but just off the top of my head:

Windows Command Line programs you should know (Vista and up require elevated command prompt
Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Type basic command followed by /? for options. ):
arp -a
ping
tracert -d
ipconfig /all (and the other options)
netstat -rn
netstat -an
netstat -e
netstat -s
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset reset.log <==XP
netsh int ipv4 reset %userprofile%\Desktop\reset4.log
netsh int ipv6 reset %userprofile%\Desktop\reset6.log
NetSH WinHTTP reset proxy

Programs (free):

MRTG (requires some SNMP knowledge)
Wireshark (Sniffer - helps if you understand TCP, UDP, IP)
Snort (Intrusion detector)

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Awesome and very helpful RKinner. Thank you very much for that.

If anyone has anything else, it would be greatly appreciated.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
If you are going in to networking you will eventually want to learn how to control Cisco routers.

There are lots of tutorials on the web
http://www.joshgentr...cisco/cisco.htm
for example

plus tons of info on the cisco.com website. If you can get a CCNA or CCNP certification it will give you a leg up when it comes to hiring. When I was in charge of my own networking group before I retired, if an applicant had a CCNA or better a CCNP I called them first for an interview.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
RKinner, I should have mentioned that after I get my degree I will be going for a lower level Cisco certification. Thank you so much for that information.