Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another Build (I may be addicted)

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Going to start a new build soon. Have learned so much thanks to GTG!

Looking for opinions on the following potential MB/CPU combinations.

#1 LGA 1155
MB - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128544
CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116504

or

#2 LGA 1150
MB - GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128592
CPU - Intel Core i5-4670K http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116899

There is only a $35 difference between #1 and #2, however it seems that #2 would give me the best potential to upgrade in the future. I have not been into gaming that much in the past, but would like a system that is capable of doing that just in case. For now, the primary use of the PC is a combination of home and work. Pretty typical PC usage for the most part.
I know the LGA 1150 MB will take a 4th gen CPU vs. the LGA 1155 2nd/3rd gen CPU. The price difference between the two is negligible, but I'm curious to know if the performance between the two would be negligible as well, or significant? I have looked here http://www.cpu-world...5_i5-4670K.html to compare the two CPUs and both seem very comparable, of course that conclusion is based on my limited knowledge. The build I just completed for my wife blows away the old P4 PC I am using now. Her MB has a i5-2500k CPU installed and the PC is exceptionally fast compared to what we were used to. It may be that I could settle for a i5-2500k, or would the i5-3750k and/or i5-4670k be that much better?
From what I have read, the i7 CPUs are a bit of overkill based on my PC usage, so no need to go that direction. Just trying to determine the biggest bang for my buck. My budget is $700 or so, and that is without installing a GPU, which I can always do later.
Thanks for your opinions, recommendations, etc. :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Two great CPUs but having checked the Newegg feedback tab for both MBs I would not choose either of them :(

The Haswell may be the newer CPU but I prefer the Ivy Bridge for it`s lower power consumption, to reduce costs unless you plan on overclocking the CPU you could use the none k version of the processor.

An alternative MB

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
True, while Gigabyte motherboards are great their Z77 and Z87 are a tossup.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Two great CPUs but having checked the Newegg feedback tab for both MBs I would not choose either of them :(

The Haswell may be the newer CPU but I prefer the Ivy Bridge for it`s lower power consumption, to reduce costs unless you plan on overclocking the CPU you could use the none k version of the processor.

An alternative MB

Thanks for the reply. I did read some of the feedback for both MBs, but felt 4/5 eggs was still pretty good. However, I did have some misgivings about them as well. So much so that I looked at some additional choices and thought this http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131981 might be a better choice. Being so new at this, I have much to learn when considering all the factors that come into play for building a system that is the most practical for my needs.
I know power consumption is important. My thought behind the LGA 1150 Z87/i5-4670k build was that it would better futureproof my potential/unforeseen needs rather than the LGA 1155 Z77/i5-3570k build. Thoughts?
I am not planning to overclock the CPU. I have not researched overclocking enough to understand all the reasons why to do it, but I believe that for my purposes it is not necessary.
My choice of MBs was based on the good feedback I've seen online about Gigabyte and ASUS products. I didn't think/realize Biostar was a comparable brand. I like the price of the Biostar MB you recommended. I noticed it has been d/c on Newegg's website, but obviously still available through other online sellers. In comparing the ASUS MB mentioned above to the Biostar MB you recommended, would you still find in favor of Biostar?

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

As I have done some additional research this morning, your reply seems to be the general consensus. I'm curious if these problems are specific to Gigabyte Z77/Z87 MBs, or the Z77/Z78 platform altogether regardless of manufacturer.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
One thing about reading the reviews is the timeline. Like for a period of months there was a bad batch going and a lot of returns. I look for that on any components and I have a pretty good idea when or what to buy. No manufacturers want to put out bad products but sometimes a batch gets through their QC that needed addressing.

Then again there's some that are just piss poor makers and we try to be aware of 'em and avoid 'em.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

One thing about reading the reviews is the timeline. Like for a period of months there was a bad batch going and a lot of returns. I look for that on any components and I have a pretty good idea when or what to buy. No manufacturers want to put out bad products but sometimes a batch gets through their QC that needed addressing.

Excellent point!

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

As I have done some additional research this morning, your reply seems to be the general consensus. I'm curious if these problems are specific to Gigabyte Z77/Z87 MBs, or the Z77/Z78 platform altogether regardless of manufacturer.

This is from a builder who worked with the Gigabyte Z77 and Z78 and he said he had to return too many of them. As a result he hated Gigabyte as a general. I tried to tell him he went through a bad batch and it's probably addressed to its problems. Why I said it's a tossup for now. I don't know if it's where Gigabyte got their chipsets from or a design flaw in the motherboards.

I went through tons of motherboards and it seems that almost every maker have a bum model or two.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
The Biostar only supports the Ivy Bridge and so is no good for the Haswell CPU that you favour, as you do not plan on overclocking you can save $5 by going for the stock 4670.

MB
CPU

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

The Biostar only supports the Ivy Bridge and so is no good for the Haswell CPU that you favour, as you do not plan on overclocking you can save $5 by going for the stock 4670.

MB
CPU

That looks like a great MB at a great price. Thank you!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

Some info on the MB Here

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Yep, the builder I was talking about recommends Asrock motherboards when it comes to Z77 or Z87.

Edited by Brazened, 27 October 2013 - 02:43 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I refer to this site occasionally, > http://www.hardware....mposants-8.html As noted, producing one bad model can really adversely affect your placement in a chart.
Would be interesting if someone did the math, average chance of each component in a build, then totalled to give the fail rate of a build, we might then decide to play with Lego.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Hmm... is there an English version of that site?

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Yep, the builder I was talking about recommends Asrock motherboards when it comes to Z77 or Z87.

Looks like I'm getting pointed in the right direction for a MB. Appreciate it :thumbsup: