Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP desktop from 2006 slow to start and operate

• Please log in to reply

TheFirst4MetallicaAlbums

TheFirst4MetallicaAlbums

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey everyone,

I decided to register today and use one main location to post any computer related questions that I might have. So thanks for any help that you all will be providing me in the future :)

So to start, I have an HP desktop that runs XP, bought in 2006. It has been years that it's become very slow. I have reinstalled windows several times, scan any anti malware program you could think of (superantispyware, malwarebytes,adware) and anti virus (avira, avg), done the defragging several times and it is still slow.

Usually happens like this. I turn it on, than if I let it sit for 10 minutes before logging in, it will work fast for awhile. If I let it sit while logged in and then try to work on it, it gets slow again.

I am thinking it could be some kind of parts that is not functioning well. I could run some program to capture the data if needed. Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
XP has been out a long time so most XP computers are starting to get clogged with dust. This makes them overheat which will also slow them down. To clean a desktop, shut it down but leave it plugged in. Remove the lid or open it up and use a vacuum cleaner hose and a small brush to clean the air vents in the front and back and the fins of the heatsink and of the fans - including the fan of the power supply. You may need to unscrew the four screws that hold the fan to the heatsink and lift the fan off to really clean the heatsink. Start it up while the lid is off and watch the fan (after screwing it back down again if you removed it). It should start up right away and be at full speed in no time (it may stop running shortly after starting - this is normal). A fan that is slow starting or which makes noise is worn out and needs to be replaced.

speedfan

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

May be able to tell you the temps depending on how old your motherboard is.

TheFirst4MetallicaAlbums

TheFirst4MetallicaAlbums

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, I am trying to do that now. As I wait for it to power up, the yellow blinking light near the power button is staying on.

Thanks for the suggestion and I have been doing periodic cleaning/ dusting of the internal of the case.

I will run speedfan and post the results here shortly.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Go in to msconfig (start, Run, msconfig, OK) and uncheck everything under Startup, then go to Services and Hide Microsoft services then uncheck all that are left. Apply Ok and restart. IF it boots much more quickly then the slowness is caused by something you unchecked. Go back in to msconfig and recheck about 1/2 of the items you unchecked. Then reboot and if it is still fast check about 1/2 of the remaining items. then Reboot. Keep going until you isolate the problem. If it doesn't help go back in to msconfig and select Normal start. Ok.

Before you reboot:

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check. C:
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Check both boxes and then click Start.
You will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, but don't restart yet.

Start, Run, eventvwr.msc, OK to bring up the Event Viewer. Right click on System and Clear All Events, No (we don't want to save the old log), OK. Repeat for Application.

Reboot.

The disk check will run and will probably take an hour or more to finish.

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Double-click VEW.exe
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.

Ron

TheFirst4MetallicaAlbums

TheFirst4MetallicaAlbums

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Rob, I am a bit confused. Is the second paragraph (before reboot) part of the first process (go to msconfig) or they are two different things?

And when I do the "hide all microsoft services", it won't let me do it; it says " an access denier error has occurred" Not sure what is prompting this.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
After you finish with msconfig, before you reboot for the last time, do the part about:
Start, Run, eventvwr.msc,...

I've never seen that error when you try to do Hide MS services. Your log does have administrator power right? You might try:

Windows Repair All-in-one:

http://www.tweaking....all_in_one.html

Download it and save it then run it.

You can skip to step 4 or 5 where it gives you the same picture as in the above link.

Make sure all of these are checked before hitting Start:

Reset Registry Permissions
Reset File Permissions
Register System Files
Repair WMI
Repair Windows Firewall
Repair Internet Explorer
Repair MDAC & MS Jet
Repair Hosts File
Remove Policies Set By Infections
Repair Icons
Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
Remove Temp Files
Repair Proxy Settings
Unhide Non System Files
Repair Windows Updates
Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working

Reboot when done and then try msconfig again.