Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 Logon Failed (Safe Mode doesn't work?)

• Please log in to reply

Beehoney

Beehoney

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all. My computer is a Lenovo running Win 7 Home Premium. This morning I went to log in like usual after what I thought was a normal shutdown. Now it won't take my login. User profile service failed the logon. I've already spent some time trying to find a fix.

I ended up here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

All the fixes seem to revolve around Safe Mode, which I can't enter. I restart, hold F8 long before the Windows Logo comes up, and keep holding it down. All that happens is that the logon screen comes up. Nothing changes. No Safe Mode or any options appear. I'm now on a borrowed computer.

I don't have any sort of recovery discs or anything like it to hand. Attempting to use the fixes that are out there just runs into dead ends. I either don't have what they recommend using or what they tell me to do simply doesn't work (talking about Safe Mode).

Wiping it isn't much of an option. The computer came with Windows preinstalled, and I don't think there was any sort of disc or key in the first place.

Help?

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi Beehoney :welcome:

Try to press F8 several times to access the Boot Menu holding the key will not work.

Let me know if you can access the Advanced Boot menu.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Next to the power button should be a smaller key with orange symbol on it. press that instead of the power key.
It should run one key recovery giving you the option to restore the OS.

If not, what is the model number?

Beehoney

Beehoney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
SleepyDude, thank you. I used your advice to access safe mode properly, which allowed me to login.

After that I used the information here:

https://kb.wisc.edu/...ge.php?id=15318

I followed the instructions and am now able to normally login.

Ztruker, thank you for your help, but my machine didn't have any power buttons other than the main.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

SleepyDude, thank you. I used your advice to access safe mode properly, which allowed me to login.

After that I used the information here:

https://kb.wisc.edu/...ge.php?id=15318

I followed the instructions and am now able to normally login.

Ztruker, thank you for your help, but my machine didn't have any power buttons other than the main.

Hi,

Good Job :thumbsup:

In my opinion isn't normal to have a problem like that and you should run chkdsk and also look into the windows event viewer for the reason why windows did that to the profile. It could happen again if there is a problem somewhere...