Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Visual Basic Coding Help: I have no idea what to do.

• Please log in to reply

Moon_Dew

Moon_Dew

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm suffering from a case of, for lack of a better term, coder's block right. I need to work on this project but I have no idea how to start coding it, other than the immediate obvious.

The Display button's Click event procedure should read the five numbers stored in the numbers.txt file and display the numbers (one through five) in the list box, and the Update button's Click event procedure should read the same five numbers and store them in an array. It then should increase the numbers in the array by 1 and write the array contents to an empty numbers.txt file.

Here's what I've got right now:
Option Explicit On
Option Strict On
Option Infer Off

Public Class MainForm

Private Sub exitButton_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles exitButton.Click
        Me.Close()
    End Sub

Private Sub displayButton_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles displayButton.Click

End Sub

Private Sub updateButton_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles updateButton.Click

End Sub
End Class

And the list box is named numbersListBox.

Advertisements

Moon_Dew

Moon_Dew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Bump

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Though I am not one to give out code per say, I could give you some 'leads' on it and have a few questions. 
How are these numbers stored in the text file? Also you state the numbers.txt file as the open and save name - Are you over writing it or dropping it somewhere else? Either way, what you'll want to do would be as follows...

Have the code read the files text into memory. Have it then sort the numbers out (for instance having a , or : or etc between them) into the values for list box line values. Then you will want to do just like you said, or you could have list box line 1's value be put to a temporary string and have a mathematical run through that grabs that string and adds numerical value of 1 to it. Then you set this process to go through all available lines in the list box. Then you have all these values to be written to a file of your choosing, separating them as you need or what not.

If you need more precise things or want me to review anything further after you code it just post it up.

Moon_Dew

Moon_Dew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Here's the new updated code:
Option Explicit On
Option Strict On
Option Infer Off

Public Class MainForm

Dim loadedfile As String = "d:\test.txt"
    Dim tempstr1 As String = IO.File.ReadAllText(loadedFile)

Private Sub MainForm_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

End Sub

Private Sub Display_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles Display.Click

numbersListBox.Items.Add(tempstr1)

End Sub

Private Sub update_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles Update.Click
        Dim x As Integer = tempstr1.Length - 1
        Dim myarray(x) As String
        Dim i As Integer = 0
        For Each mychr As Char In tempstr1
            myarray(i) = mychr
            i += 1
            ListBox2.Items.Add(i + 1)

Next

End Sub
End Class

I had some help with this one, unfortunately I neglected to mention that I can only use one list box, and that the numbers in that one list box are the same ones that need to be updated by one when I click the update button.