Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vaio help

• Please log in to reply

olley

olley

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Tried most common fault finding methods for this but so far no luck. I have my sister in laws sony vaio model vpceb3f4e. I have reinstalled win 7 and all was working fine after repartition of the hdd but the fan was still noisy so stripped it down completely to clean including removing the fan/CPU together and cleaning. Reassembled and now it won't boot at all it will power on, 1hdd flash on the front panel and after 20 secs fan really kicks in and cuts out such as it's overheating. No screen display either, has anyone got any idea??

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Did you clean the surface between the heatsink and the cpu and reapply thermal paste? Arctic Silver 5 and their cleaning compound is the best:

http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_cp_pc_0

olley

olley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This particular model I can see no way to seperate the heat sink attached to the fan. It looks like it has been riveted not screwed in over?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
The heatsink and fan may be one unit but the heatsink/fan assembly sits on top of the CPU and its that surface that needs the thermal paste.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
This video may help you, but be aware that basic errors are apparent, and surprised the unit still works, namely.
He appears not to have taken anti static measures..
He is using a brush to clean, not done as this will generate static, you should only use canned air and a cotton bud dipped into Isopropyl Alcohol.
He mentions using a razor blade, never scrape the heatsink or CPU surface that way, a finger nail or edge of a plastic credit card or better, thermal paste remover.
> http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835100010

Video, >