Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where Does XP Keep Taskbar Icons?

• Please log in to reply

milehighguy

milehighguy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

I love the free Microsoft Virtual Desk Manager that gives me four customizable desktops:

http://www.microsoft...ppowertoys.mspx

I think this PowerToy is what XP calls a "Downloaded Installation" - because that's the folder where "Virtual Desktop Manager Powertoy for Windows XP.msi" now resides. It puts icons "1" "2" "3" and "4" in the Taskbar so you can easily click to any of the 4 desktops. I would love to customize those icons - but I can't find them!

I've searched my PC with various icon editing software to try to find them, to no avail.

Are there any icon junkies out there who can suggest where in the bowels of my machine these new Taskbar icons might be hiding? Or - are .msi icons unaccessible for editing?

Alternatively, I'd appreciate being steered to any kind of XP/Icon forum.

Thanks!

Milehighguy

Advertisements

CMDA

CMDA

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
they could be inside the main exe... try opening it with some icon editor program

milehighguy

milehighguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nope. There is no "exe" file as such - just the msi I mentioned and a msvdm.dll in windows/system32.

Icon Suite 2 found some icons - but not the taskbar buttons - in the dll, nothing in the msi. Icon Edit 2 found no icons in either ... and neither found icons in the setup exe file.