Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC fans

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. recently i changed a CPU fan was looking for a quieter fan for it.
I needed an 80mm fan.

Through research i ended up buying a Nexus Real Silent PWM 80MM Fan SP802512H-03 1000-2800 RPM 38 CFM Max., noise 16.2 db(a).
It worked well and was quiet ,but it worked for about a month,then started making a whistling sound,so i returned it.

It also noticed it ran at little over 2000 rpm's idle most of the time.

My original Delta fan never seemed to go much over 1700 rpm idle,but was noisier,the reasons for the change to another.
Which i recently put back in on CPU and is still running idle at little over 1700 RPM.

My question is what is the most RPM's needed for a Intel i5 core 2320 CPU @ 3.0 GHZ 3001 MHZ 4 Cores,4 logical Processors?

I am looking at this fan Noctua
I know these fans are very quiet i have two as case fans already 90mm ones.Will one i mentioned at max of only 1800 RPM's be enough for the Processor.?
The airflow is 31. CFM's.Concerned for fact of not getting processor ever too hot.

Edited by jds63, 25 October 2013 - 04:30 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

what is the most RPM's needed for a Intel i5 core 2320 CPU @ 3.0 GHZ 3001 MHZ 4 Cores,4 logical Processors?

RPM is not the factor, except for noise. CFM is what counts. CPU and case fans are designed differently. This is fairly general, so there will be exceptions.
Case fans are concerned with removing the max amount of air with the lest amount of noise, regardless of the RPM. The flow of air can be across the whole face of the fan.
Down facing CPU fans blowing air directly onto the heatsink are firstly rated for the wattage of the CPU. A stock cooler will will produce a CFM flow to keep the CPU within the Tj max.
The flow of air is concentrated to the centre of the fan, not across the whole face, example of the tech, Focus Flow, > http://www.noctua.at...sed_flow_system
Consider replacing the Heatsink and fan, this one, providing it is compatible with you CPU socket. > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103099
> http://www.coolermas...e=Hyper 212 EVO
How it performs among a group of top end coolers, > http://www.anandtech...d-cooler-master

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. i was looking into heatsinks and fans at time i was originally going to replace the CPU fan.

I did see this one Noctua

I do have a mini ATX tower even though they say it fits ITX towers.

Problem with this model is it requires access to the back of the motherboard to screw in pins.

Which i do not have this access to it unless i remove my motherboard from the case, which would be alot to do and with my knowledge of doing this.
A plate behind the motherboard that is part of the whole case.

Also when i looked up this model Noctua NH-L9i for my motherboard it was not listed correctly. My Board is: ASUS P8H61-M-Pro Revision 1.0
On Noctua's site is said Revision 3.0 for my motherboard, that's a newer revision of this board,not sure if this matters.

Two first link you gave me i could not access them,but i tried it on the internet and apparently Noctua's sites must be down alot,cause i had this issue before trying to access there sites in past.

O.k. i was doing some research considering i was not sure i wanted to remove my motherboard to install that Noctua.

I was looking for a heatsink that did not require me to remove motherboard,not too many as you may know.

I came across this one and was wondering your opinion on it, it has received good ratings and plus i do not overclock my PC.

Cool Master You can change fans on this heatsink.

Thanks for the replies,even if i do not go with a new heatsink ,again an opinion on my first posts Case fan be O.K. anyway ,the Noctua NF-R8 80mm PWM i listed?

Edited by jds63, 26 October 2013 - 06:29 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Revision for a MB does not alter the sizeor Socket, there may be different complainants on the board and/or a different BIOS.
The Noctua NH-L9i although low profile still required fastening from the rear of the MB, not what you want.
The Hyper TX3 should be suitable but you will need to check with regard to hight. Clearance of RAM again should be OK as the fan appears not to go out of the securing pin footprint.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Hi,
Yes i saw it on the site for this Noctua i did look at it once before,only listed my board with that revision 3.0.
There is no BIOS updates for my board. I did like that Noctua being low profile,cost is always high,but they are worth it.

Problem is doing the job required me to remove the board,this is not a PC i custom built.
I felt with the knowledge i have may run into more difficulties,maybe,hate to pay someone i would rather do things myself if i can.

Cool Master measures 139mm in height that is, 5.47244" that should clear the side panel of case.
I know most say it is big.I am just wondering about if it will be noisier then stock one,looking at the decibel levels.

A good possibility i can use a different fan on it cause it has a clip on it,clip it removable,be able to attach it to a different fan also and
thinking a Noctua 92mm PWM which are quieter. Would you think that is a good idea?
Also use two fans on Cool Master.

Although if i buy it i might see how it is first before i would do it.

Thanks again!!!

Edited by jds63, 26 October 2013 - 09:18 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
For the least amount of work, though not the cheapest solution.
I would go for the Hyper TX3 and see how it is for you, if you find it noisy or not giving you good temps, then look for a different fan.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Wait not sure what you mean not the cheapest solution,you mean buying another fan along with the TX3?

I was looking at these two fans as options if i replaced one on the TX3

My link 1

My link 2

First one has more RPM's,second one less RPM's I know you say this does not matter,just concern for air flow for a heatsink,which the CoolMasters fan is higher RPM's, but Noctua's is known for good CFM's regardless of RPM's they produce.

As far as temps go when i recently changed the last fan that failed on me i happen to replaced the thermal compound i used Arctic Silver 5,cleaned it with Arctic clean and i have more left and will use it for this project.

On idle temps the are on average, 31-32c on CPU and 35-36c on Motherboard.

My link one has lower CFM's then link two
My link 1

My link 2

So second one even though lower RPM's as you say doesn't matter the CFM's do,the second link could be alright for heatsink if i use it.

Let me know what you think to use one of these Noctua's which or if any would be best,then i will make my decisions,will close this post.

Thank you again,much appreciated!!

Edited by jds63, 26 October 2013 - 10:35 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Yes. I meant more expensive when adding a different fan.
I would chose the -BNF9 > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835608027

NB. Posts are not closed, so you can always come back.
Good luck and let us know the outcome, will help others who may read the Topic.

Your welcome, Posted Image

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Yes,thought maybe that's what you meant more expensive buying heatsink and another fan.

I have this model Noctua on back of case exhausting air out and a 80mm Noctua in front of case blowing air in.

I'll see best pricing for Hyper TX3 heatsink it seems so far NewEgg is best so far they are to me the most reliable and efficient service to deal with in past.

I will let you know how it goes but it may take awhile to complete and yes i was told in past to come back with the outcome of my topic i was not sure if it ever closes a post.

Well thank you again you have helped me in past and seen i try to help others too,sometimes i second guess my knowledge i have learned alot over time many years with a computer.

At times when i am not sure or do not know and can not find an answer, i come to forums to ask,i am always willing to learn and help others this is something i enjoy doing.

Thanks again ,Mate
<From man from the States :thumbsup:

Edited by jds63, 27 October 2013 - 06:54 AM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Here are two articles that were good for me may help others to get an idea about understanding fans for there PC

Page 1

Anatomy of a Fan
:cool:

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
HI iammykyl,

I have a question for you about heatsink,CPU Cooler.

On my last post you told me as long as height of the Cool Master Hyper TX3 would clear the case i had it would be fine.
Cool Master

This might or might not just make it being 139mm high,plus doing research on the reviews for this model showed some bad things about it's construction on base meeting the CPU.

So i was looking at this Model,little lower in height 130mm, but wider and deeper which concerned fitting it too.Had better reviews.
Arctic Freezer

From research some articles said should fit ATX and mATX boards,wonder if you can look at my board tell me what you think.
It is hard in ways to measure just right now for width and length. Also my RAM is large too Corsair
This link shows it installed on ATX and mATX My link

My motherboard ASUS

Just let me know what you think,much appreciated will be purchasing one of them in coming days i have exhausted my searches for any other type that does not require motherboard removal because there is not many to find,TY

Edited by jds63, 31 October 2013 - 01:23 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I would stay with the TX3 it is narrow, it's fan is clipped on so you should be able to lift is a little to clear the RAM. The Freezer 13 is wider, has a screw on fan, so not movable.
This article includes TX3 Evo instillation, > http://www.overclock...evo-vs-212-evo/

If you lay the case down and place a stick acroos the open side, you can better measure the hight from the face of the MB.

With regard to reviews of products. Unless there a lots of the same thing, like, DOA, retaining tab snapped off, extremely noisey, and such, they should be taken with a pinch of salt. All products will have some bad reviews but when they are consist ant, then I take notice.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Yes TX3 is less wider then the Arctic freezer.Arctic freezers fan does clip on and is not completely square as the TX3 fan although depth is 96mm.

I will try stick thing,but i kind of saw i may just make close to 6 inches to case closure,give or take.
Reason Arctic was lower 130mm even though it's wider and longer.Way arctic fan is made not as square,kind of rounded at end and gets a bit smaller

One review stated it was to do with the bottom of TX3 where meets the CPU,gaps between the copper heatpipes and other metal and surface not being smooth more rough,would cause more heat .
Look at this review tx3's bottom one on the right in diagram.

Also some load tests done on TX3 not so good i know it's not an expensive cooler,either with other one to expect better for them.
Arctic bit better rated.

Oh and i have been doing my research homework on both units and many others lately,plus on what others say about it.
Do this before i would do anything,research and learn.

This is actually the cooler,other was CO model,but there the same size My link
Another thing the clips on this model much better then CoolMaster one even said in reviews too.

So you think the Arctic one may not fit? I have seen pictures on boards like my size near RAM link

Thanks

Edited by jds63, 31 October 2013 - 08:46 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Thanks iammykyl for thoughts and advice on this post ,,after doing more research i am going with Arctic Freezer 13.

I believe i will have no problem fitting it even though it is deeper and wider then the TX3,but lower in height were my biggest concern for fit came in for TX3 .
Room to top and bottom and towards back of case is fine,RAM area was in question.

Through some of the reviews i have read it showed people with same size motherboards and even tall RAM like i have,they said they had no issues with clearance of cooler or fan on it.
They listed there motherboards in reviews i looked them up and looked at them to see,most boards were setup like mine.

Again many i had seen gave good reviews about this model for cooling CPU and i looked at alot of reviews believe me,been researching this for hours and days now,not just going by just a few ones. :surrender:
As you said you if it's alot of same things told in reviews then you know.

I will know when i get it and install it,will let you know how it goes,i wrote before this but after more research came to a decision,thank you again.
Post info after installed.:thumbsup:

Edited by jds63, 31 October 2013 - 10:42 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK jds63
Please make sure to clean off all the old TIM from the top of the CPU, you should be able to do this without actually taking the CPU out of the socket.

Your welcome and I look forward to a "mission successful" post.