Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC fans

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Thanks iammykyl i am not down playing your advice at all i appreciated your input through this.
This cooler comes with TIM pre applied Arctic MX-2 but i do have Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic Clean,to do the job or at least clean the CPU off well with Arctic clean which is good.

I did this before when i tried to change the fan on CPU i was not too knowledged on job did not realize i did not have to remove heatsink to change the fan,but i did had to reapply TIM.

You might recall that in post the fan went bad after a month making a whistling noise which i sent it back for a refund,then put the stock fan back on but temps were good afterwards with the Arctic Silver 5,great stuff so is Arctic MX-2 i hear.
Not sure if i will use the preapplied one or not,maybe it's best i'll see.

Maybe one day i will build my own system just way i want it,can be costly though,knowing me i will want the best.Thanks again will repost when i do the job,product is ordered already on it's way.

Thanks again,Mate :thumbsup:

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.
It is simpler to keep the pre applied pad but removal and application of a quality TIM gives better results.
Good luck.
Your welcome, Posted Image

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. the job of changing the heatsink is done of Arctic Freezer 13. Although as seen by many reviews to be such an easy install it was not.

Getting these tiny 1/2" screws into the holes of the heatsink to mount it to the base was extremely difficult,especially the back one of the heatsink.
Plus the height of heatsink measuring 130mm made this a difficult task on a mATX board,by having to get the back screw in place to be able to drive it in,definitely need a long phillips screwdriver to do this.

Mounting the push pin base which the heatsink mounted to was the easiest process of all.

Since i had difficulty at first time of mounting it cause of the short screws, i had to redo the preapplied Arctic MX-4 thermal compound,but i used Arctic Silver 5 which i had,knowing it's quality as one of the best.Beforehand cleaning it with Arctic clean.

I used a recommended way seen on the Arctic site of skinning the heatsink base with thermal compound then applying some to the CPU,let's see how this works since it takes Arctic Silver 5 200hrs. to break in.

Next time if i ever do this process again and it is easier to mount a heatsink without such tiny screws to work with by buying one that requires removing the motherboard which i did not want to do, i may try that instead.

Well so far it is quieter then my stock heatsink and fan,it just made the clearance of my Corsair Vegeance RAM i have.

The heatsink is blowing out towards the back of my case just 2 1/2 " away from my exhaust Noctua 92mm fan,that got pretty close.and i do have a Noctua 80mm in front of case blowing inwards.

Temps right now are about 5 or so Celsius lower then before and when i first started the PC was about 7 Celsius lower,same with motherboard temps.

Like said could take time for it to break in to see more of a difference.

Well what should of been such an easy task,wasn't so easy,if wasn't for way they constructed the base and such small screws and tight area i had to work in on a mATX ,but it did fit o.k. even if i and others were skeptical it would.

Thanks iammykyl for your help and advice hope this may help others too,i can check back with this post,but for now it is good.Thanks to all too.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome jds63 Posted Image
Thank you for updating, helps others who may read this topic later.

Always a bit hard working on a small MB inside a case, but you got it done, congratulations. With better temps and a bit quieter, well worth doing.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Thanks again for the help here.We will see in coming month with it how it will be,hopefully all will be the same after break in of Thermal compound.:wave:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted Image

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Hi iammykyl,

I want to ask you for advice and input .I wanted to check how well my install went on my CPU heatsink cooler Arctic Freezer 13.

So i wanted to run a stress test on my CPU to see how the temps get and how well cooler is handling it.

I tried Prime95 but was not to good at understanding it,ran it for awhile under different settings small fft test.
Temps went no higher then 54c sometimes went lower,the idle started at 30-31c.My CPU's max. temps on intel's site is 72c.

I researched another program to use called IntelBurnTest which is known to really stress the CPU and get the highest temps,more so then Prime95.
Well i ran 3 tests,standard,high and very high.

O.K. with all tests the CPU temps went no higher then 55-56c,then during tests at times it even went lower44-46c.

Well to me this seemed good,i monitored the temps with my ASUS Suite II program during it.Even motherboard temps were lower then CPU.

I posted the results from this program here.I found this web link where i got the instructions to use it ,,cautiously. My link

I feel this cooler is working good then from temps i saw not being too high and installation went well .One thing i noticed is in some research some will say if working right the heatsink will get hot,well even during these tests the heatsink was just warm,never really hot.
Fan did not reach it's max RPM's during any tests.

Let me know what you think,i appreciate it very much,TY

Attached Files

Edited by jds63, 11 November 2013 - 05:41 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday jds63.
They were good results from your stress tests and the temps you have are very good, I would be happy with those on my rig.
Your CPU sensors will monitor temps and fan speed so there is no need to run other diagnostic tests on a regular schedule The CPU does have it's own protection and should the temps get up towards Tj max, it will throttle back or completely shut down if the fans fails.

Good luck.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Thanks iammykyl,

I just wanted to make sure all went well with my application of the TMI ,which most of times is most critical part of the job installing a cooler.

Reading how this IntelBurn Test could possibly fry the CPU it scared me at first to try it,but saying it could give me best determination on the CPU under stress and how well cooler handles it.
Why i closely monitored it during test was surprised it did not get any hotter even during very high test.

O.K. if this was best test i am satisfied i did well with install,even though not much into Arctic Silver 5 breakin period of 200hrs.:thumbsup:

This post is finished,hope it can help any others who install a cooler on there systems.TY all :cheers:

Advertisements