Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Power, I'm Dumbfounded

• Please log in to reply

kewldrummer

kewldrummer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am working on about a 2-3 yo Compaq desktop. It was up and application were running when it just went blank, dead. I opened it and noted that when I hit the front power button that the fans bumped, then stopped. I also noted that the small light on the PSU remained lit, but no front panel lights. I first bought a new PSU, and nothing changed, now not even a fan bump, but the PSU light remains lit as long at it has juice. The I ordered a "new" MB from the only place that had them, Ebay. Got here in 2 days(impressed), I pulled the old board, put the original PSU back in, and nothing, no difference. So, if I have replaced the MB AND the PSU and I still have no power, does that ONLY leave the front panel switch?
thanks

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
I would review the troubleshooting methods as posted Here

Joe

kewldrummer

kewldrummer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey Joe, thanks for the reply and the link. I read it and found that all it really did was taught me to question the PSU again, since the LED was on, but erratic.
Let me back trac and give you info that I didnt have at the time I first posted. I left the Pc plugged up for a couple hours after I have given up and purely at random I walked by and hit the switch, and the durn thing powered up. Of course, by this time I had everything, including the monitor, unplugged. So I turned it off, hooked the monitor up to see boot messages, and hit the power switch and nothing again. I let it sit 5 minutes and nothing. I again disconnected everything and went back to a direct plug(instead of a strip shared with monitor), gave it 5 minutes and it started. Its almost like it has to charge up.

Again, everything was pointing to a funky PSU, so I pulled the new one back out and replaced it. so understand now I have a New MB, and a NEW PSU.
I plugged it all back in, and NOTHING. This ANTEC PSU does not have a LED on it. SO, I went for the switch. I pulled the front panel and got to the switch and see that red / black are the two going into the switch.i was able to use my mail to pull back the plastic coating on both wire enough that I could cross them with a paper clip(bypassing the switch), and nothing. I started wiggling connections, and at some point I pushed the switch and the light flashed, then nothing. I switched and switched, moved things around, nothing. I walked off for 5 min, and came back to it, and of course POWER ON. This time I had a monitor and hooked in a USB keyboard to get past book messages and windows is up and running.

All Great, except, I dont think anything is fixed, even with a new PSU and new Mother board. The fact I crossed the switch wires and nothing happened, pretty much tells me its not the switch. So, now I have a running PC, not ready to shut it off yet and put it back together, because I dont think it will start back up.

CMOS nor the CMOS battery does not have to "charge up", but I have to say that is the one consistent thing so far. Each time it has started is after it has sat for various lengths of time, tho after sitting all night, it did not start first thing.

Do you have any other suggestions? I keep coming back to the fact it shut off when running(original problem), so I tend to NOT think it is the switch as the root problem.

thanks,
Mike

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
I don't have anymore suggestions except replacing the switch it's all I can think of. You have covered most of the areas.

Joe

kewldrummer

kewldrummer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks. I am pretty much out of ideas too.

Edited by kewldrummer, 26 October 2013 - 11:05 AM.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I would suspect the power button.. If you could go inside the case and pull the power button plug short the pins with a coin and see if it powered up.