Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Audio suddenly not working

• Please log in to reply

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I'm on an HP Envy 14 Beats Audio laptop. I use the laptops microphone and speakers. Yesterday I everything was working fine, no problem with hearing people or people hearing me on Skype. When I got home today, I could hear people but they could not hear me. I went to my control panel, then my audio settings, then recording. It said "Stereo Mix IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" is currently unavailable. So I started searching online for similar issues and how people fixed them. The most common fix was to uninstall the drivers and let the computer reinstall them upon restart, so I tried that.
However, when I restarted my computer, it failed to install the drivers. So now I have no sound at all, and no microphone. The volume icon on the taskbar shows a speaker with a red x, as if it was muted. When I try clicking on it, it says "Audio device is disabled - not fixed" then below it says "Enable audio device - completed" But it is still muted. In the playback tab of the Sound control panel box, I enabled "show disabled devices" and I see nothing. As for the microphone, it should say, under recording, integrated microphone array, but it no longer says that. I also do not see it when I click show disabled devices.

I went to HP's site and tried to install drivers for my computer. I first let it search my computer for missing/outdated drivers and it said it could find nothing. So I searched for them manually and found only one audio driver available and downloaded it. It is called "sp48435" and when I try running it it ask me if I wish to replace the current files. I say "Yes to All" and allow it to begin. But about a third of the way through, it claims access is denied, closes, and another window opens. It runs through some processes and when it is finished, it tells me I need to restart my computer for these to take effect. I have even tried running "sp48435" as an administrator and I still get the access is denied error.

I have also tried doing a system restore, but that has helped none that I can tell.

If there is any information you need that I left out, I'll do my best to provide it. A huuuge thank you to anyone who can help me! I greatly appreciate it.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Hello Zibbiezone

As a system restore has not worked it is possible that this is hardware related however can I ask whether or not any updates were installed immediately before the audio stopped functioning, if yes;

Removing bad updates and reinstalling them
Go to Add/Remove Programs
Click the box on the top that says Show All Updates
Scroll through and find the offending update/s and remove it/them.
Now try updating again and see if it corrects the faulty update/s.

(Go to Start > Control Panel > Programs > View installed updates > Highlight the suspect update > Uninstall it.
See how the computer behaves, if all is well try installing the update manually.)

If no joy please run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=25271813

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25459686
Here is the URL for the test.

Edit: So I don't know what I did, but I got my audio to work now. But I can't get the microphone to work.

Edited by Zibbiezone, 26 October 2013 - 05:47 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Thanks for the url :thumbsup:

Good to see that you have made some progress, the test results do not offer a reason why your microphone is not working.

To check if the microphone is enabled;

Go to Start and click on control Panel.
Click in Sound and a new window will open.
In the new windows click on the tab "Recording” and right click in the window and click on Show Disabled devices.
Now check if the microphone is listed there and highlight the microphone and click on "Set as Default" device.
Right click on it and choose enable.

Additional info below

Under the Playback tap, right click ANY playback device and the sub-menu will appear.
Left click on "Show Disabled Devices.
Click back on the Recording tab and you should see a list of ALL disabled devices, next right click on the device that was disabled and select enable.

Let us know how it goes.

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
The microphone is enabled and set as the default. Skype can also see the microphone, but is not picking any audio up from it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
See if the informationHere helps, it says for Vista but the principle is basically the same.

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

See if the informationHere helps, it says for Vista but the principle is basically the same.

I've tried that before, it didn't work. My microphone is in the computer, beside the webcam.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
You have two audio devices enabled + drivers installed for both, create a new restore point and then disable the device that you are not using and uninstall the drivers for it.

AMD High Definition Audio Device Advanced Micro Devices

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Okay I uninstalled the AMD High Definition Audio Device Advanced Micro Devices driver.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Okay I uninstalled the AMD High Definition Audio Device Advanced Micro Devices driver.

Any change with the onboard microphone.

Advertisements

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
No, no change with the microphone. But today, when I got home, my computer won't start at all. It says something may be wrong with the hardware, and if the problem persist then to contact my hardware manufacturer (HP.) The PC won't boot up past that.

So, my sound card is fried isn't it?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
When you say it won`t start do you mean that Windows will not load.

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yeah, all it does is cycle back through to that screen and never start windows

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Try a hard reset by removing the battery, AC adapter and the Ram and then holding down the power button for 30 seconds and see if that helps, if not let us know if there is data on the HDD that you would like to try and secure.

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I can't remove the RAM. The others I can remove. Still want me to attempt it?

Also I can't do it right this minute, I can do it when I get home.