Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Speed slows down daily

• Please log in to reply

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
My Verizon DSL is slowing down around the same time every day, during the evening hours. I normally would Powercycle/reboot my modem and that would fix it, tonight that did not work I spent an hour on the phone with Verizon Tech Support. They fixed it for now and I have an open case with them. I still would like to get some opinions on what might be causing it, do you think there is a chance someone near me is cracking my WiFi Password and also using my connection or could it be something else? My Router/Modem (its an all in one) is a D-Link that was issued by Verizon not sure of the model.

Edited by RebelGamer137, 25 October 2013 - 09:37 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

They fixed it

What did they actually fix?

Change your password if your concerned about something like that.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
They refreshed my connection from there end.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hopefully that fixes it for you. A lot of people complain about Verizon DSL and slow downs occurring at the same time.

You can Google Verizon DSL is slowing down around the same time every day and read about it too. So it's not just you experiencing it.

Joe

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
So I am not alone when it comes to this problem. My modem/router is a D-Link DSL 2850B if that helps. My connection gets VERY bad when it slows down. I can't even watch YouTube in 144P. The reason I mentioned the idea of someone else using my connection is just speculation to what might be causing the slow down. I had a problem with frequent disconnects this summer which was fixed by a technician from Verizon. I do have an open ticket with them. The operator tonight tried and put in a good effort, and once my connection refreshed it got to normal speed.

Result of my most recent speed test, from the Verizon Speed Test
Latency 40MS

Download Speed 0.74 MBPS

Upload Speed 0.14 MBPS

A speed test result from earlier this week during the day

Latency 37 MS

Download speed 0.94 mbps

Upload speed 0.37 mbps

When I get the slow downs I can't even run a speed test, the connection times out.

Edited by RebelGamer137, 26 October 2013 - 01:23 AM.

Sub

Sub

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Your connection is way slow, you need to change your ISP. If your connection is slow plus the traffic, of course it will give you a bad day to surf the net nor watching movies either YouTube or Netflix specially during night time.

What do you expect with this kind of plans from them?

My ISP is not Verizon but here's the result of my speed test to Verizon speed test site.
Posted Image

By the way, I have noticed that you're an online gamer because of your "Username", for sure you have encountered a heavy lag in-games with that kind of connection.

Edited by Sub, 26 October 2013 - 09:23 AM.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Your connection is way slow, you need to change your ISP. If your connection is slow plus the traffic, of course it will give you a bad day to surf the net nor watching movies either YouTube or Netflix specially during night time.

What do you expect with this kind of plans from them?

My ISP is not Verizon but here's the result of my speed test to Verizon speed test site.
Posted Image

By the way, I have noticed that you're an online gamer because of your "Username", for sure you have encountered a heavy lag in-games with that kind of connection.

I live with someone else and they work for Verizon, so I doubt that will happen. I am not sure of what plan we have. I think we are getting less then what we paid for.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Sorry for the double post.Here is an update, as of now the technician came to my house, found nothing wrong with anything, but he was at my house when it was working correctly. He gave me his number and it lagged so I called him back, shortly afterwards it speeds up again. This is weird. It also seems to randomly slow at different times now. Fortunately the last slow down did not last that long.

Edited by RebelGamer137, 28 October 2013 - 04:43 PM.

Sub

Sub

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Try to change your IP using MS-Dos window....Type ipconfig /release press Enter....then type ipconfig /renew press Enter....then exit and reboot.
If that doesn't work then ask your ISP to change your modem into a new one. Maybe your modem need an oil change.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Try to change your IP using MS-Dos window....Type ipconfig /release press Enter....then type ipconfig /renew press Enter....then exit and reboot.
If that doesn't work then ask your ISP to change your modem into a new one. Maybe your modem need an oil change.

For the second option, you are saying ask for a new modem to replace my current one? I had one replaced earlier this year and it turned out that was not the cause. Maybe the new one I got this summer is a dud.

Sub

Sub

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
3 months ago I changed my ISP because every night (for 2 weeks) I experience an "On & Off" and slow speed due to a traffic line, but just wonder why there's a specific time and that is during the 7:30pm EDT so I decided to change my ISP.
Sometimes even if you have a new modem we didn't know if that is a bad one. Like for example I got my new Wi-Fi modem 2 months ago now here in my new ISP and it's working fine but 2 weeks ago I experienced an "On & Off" connection so I call my ISP and they do what is necessary in their sides but nothing happens because what they know is to reset it on their sides. So the technician came-in to my house and change all the cables outside even the cable in the outlet but the problem is still there, so I was thinking that the problem was on their box outside (could be loose cable, etc.), they check it and lastly they change the modem again into a new one. As of now I haven't encountered an "On & Off" like before. Problem solve and no interruption during game time. By the way my PC is a newly deep formatted so for sure it's clean.

This is a little story of what happen to me almost a week ago now. I received a phone call asking me that, there's an activity coming from my computer that they're seeing in the mainframe...I said WHAT ACTIVITY?! She said it's a blah,blah,blah. She's an Indian girl and saying that she's from Microsoft. I know her accent that's why I know she's an Indian girl. Then she's asking me something or teaching me something that I need to do, but I say "sorry I don't need a technician teaching me of what I need to do beside I didn't call any technician from Microsoft, also stop that "Social Engineering Technique" it will not work for me, Goodbye!" Maybe I push them away from my machine. LoL!

Lastly, if some suggestion doesn't work for you, then your last option is to reformat your PC.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I can't switch ISPs atm and the problem is on more then one PC.

JustTrevor

JustTrevor

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

So I am not alone when it comes to this problem. My modem/router is a D-Link DSL 2850B if that helps. My connection gets VERY bad when it slows down. I can't even watch YouTube in 144P. The reason I mentioned the idea of someone else using my connection is just speculation to what might be causing the slow down. I had a problem with frequent disconnects this summer which was fixed by a technician from Verizon. I do have an open ticket with them. The operator tonight tried and put in a good effort, and once my connection refreshed it got to normal speed.

Result of my most recent speed test, from the Verizon Speed Test
Latency 40MS

Download Speed 0.74 MBPS

Upload Speed 0.14 MBPS

A speed test result from earlier this week during the day

Latency 37 MS

Download speed 0.94 mbps

Upload speed 0.37 mbps

When I get the slow downs I can't even run a speed test, the connection times out.

This is pretty bad. What speeds do you pay for? If you don't mind me asking.