Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

get XP on new computer

• Please log in to reply

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Is it possible to get XP on a new computer you just bought? I really like XP and am not liking this new one at all. Just a yes or no is what I am looking for. Thank you.

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Doubtfully most machines now come with win 8 and they most likely will not have support for xp on the site where you download the drivers from but if you give me the make and model of the machine I would be glad to check for you.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
You can find them on eBay.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I called the man who built this computer. He assured me that I would be able to do this program. He also said that there was no need to put XP on this new machine. I will have my friend come over and help me with this and just maybe I will get it. I have Windows 7 on here not 8. I was told not to have 8 put on so I told the Computer Store that built this not to put 8 on but 7. Thank you for all your help. I do say this will be the last computer I will buy or get for the technology is just getting way over my head. I will work on this machine and see if I can understand it. I guess the man who built this is right, one does not want to go backwards with a program that will not be around much longer and you won't be able to get updates on it. Sorry to have bothered you. Thank you for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One other comment Sharon. Win XP will cease to have any support next year so you would really be in trouble for drivers, security updates.
I myself would say go to Win7 as that will be supported for some years yet.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Hi there, I am going to do exactly that for I really don't want to try to do Windows 8 and in a couple years that will be all you can get. It was hard to get Windows 7 as it is. I have been able to download card shops on the new computer. Now, my daughter hooked up the computer and we have no sound at all. So I called the shop who I am quite sure wish I would have went some other place. :) They said we needed to plug the speakers into the green plug in. Well, we didn't. So now, I have to take the machine back and let them get it where I can have sound. I will be taking my speakers with me so I am sure that they are not the problem. I must say that this machine is nice. I have all the room I will ever need. Thinking about getting Word to download. That is something I use a lot. The one on here is not all that much. I am so glad to have you answer a post for you were the first person who ever helped me with a computer and I still have all the work we did printed off just in case. :) I have bragged about Geeks to go to so many people and I know some have come here. Technology has really kept changing and I am amazed at the rate it changes. That is why this will be the last computer I buy. I believe that it will become more than what I can manage. But, I do want to tell you that I so respect you and thank you for being a patient man while helping me. The Lord must have given you a measure of patience. What do you thin about putting Word on here? I don't want to install anything that could cause problems. Thank you....

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
If you are missing sound it is a possible driver issue if you want to avoid the shop then see below.

IMO Ms word is decent program that will not cause you issues..... (I know you were not referring to me being the first to help you here.)

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.
http://download.blee...MiniToolBox.exe

Checkmark following boxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

Download UnknownDeviceIdentifier
http://www.zhangduo....eIdentifier.exe
and post the log it Creates in your next reply.
Run the program allow it to finish then hit file> save > Save the file to desktop.The default file name will be DeviceList Attach Device list in your next reply.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I personally have not used Microsoft Office in years but prefer Open Office especially now that it can save files as office file types.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
First rockmilk, thank you for your information. I shall copy it and safe it. The man who built my computer wants me to bring the computer over to him so he can take a look at it and make sure that is all that is going on. It is under warranty so I will do that first off. Thank you...

Now I am very interested in this Open Office that you are talking about. Can you get Word with it? Where to you get it? I may like that on my laptop that gives me more fits than a desktop. I can not get word to even open on it. My husband bought this for me last year and I have spent little time on it. It also has Windows 7. So, I will sooner or later download an program on that. I do use it for trying to learn more about the machine. I am so interested in the workings of this machine. So, the laptop and I have looked up many things on help. My husband has been ill and I really haven't had much time to be on the computer but when I am able I do get on. So much to learn and grab hold of. Really is amazing! So please tell me about Open Office for I am anxious to learn about it. Thank you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Office

The products included with Open Office HERE

Advertisements

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I have read about this and the nice thing is it is free. Now, you do have an idea about my knowledge or lack of on the computer. Is this program easy to understand and do? I would love to put it on my new machine and my laptop if you think I can understand it. Thank you for giving me that information for I have read all about it and find it to be just what I want and need. So, what do you think. Believe me, you won't upset me by telling me that I won't be able to use this.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have used Microsoft Office then you will be able to use Open Office.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Thank you so much for I do want to put that on my new machine as well as my laptop. I am pleased that I can use it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Writer is basically the same as Word in Microsoft Office so you should not have a problem. If so feel free to post in this topic or a new topic and we will be happy to help. The only decision you will have to make is to save it as a Microsoft document or a Open Office document.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Thank you Rshaffer61. I shalll do some downloading tomorrow when I get back from the computer store with my sound working and then I will learn more about Open Office. Have a wonderful week-end. You are a great help and just want you to know I so appreciate all you have done to keep me on my computer.