Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

get XP on new computer

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome Sharon and please update at your earliest convenience once you have tried Open Office. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
All right, here is my update. It would not download on my laptop. I will try it on this new machine this afternoon. It started to download and then just stopped. I tried it again and the same thing. It is kind of hard to mess up a download, right? Well, I shall try it on the new machine and let you know about that. Thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you get any error message or did it just disconnect?

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
It just stopped completely. I let it stay that way for over 30 minutes and it did not download anymore. So, after my wonderful day at the computer store. I have taken a break but will try to download it on this new one and see what happens. I did buy new speakers, not in my plans but they go with the new machine. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK thanks for the info and I will await your results. :thumbsup:

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
Thank the Lord, I have Office on one of my machines and I do believe I shall try again on my laptop for I see no reason why it won't download there. I do so thank you for telling me about this. I do have a story started so I shall try the Word right away. When we got back from the Computer store, they had take Chrome off and put Firefox on. Well, for some reason I could not get any letters to come up when I typed nor could I open Firefox. I worked on it for over an hour and was just getting ready to take it back when I thought maybe it was plugged in wrong. It was. So, it now works fine and I even have sound. Now, I have sound and Office. Not bad for a days work, right? I shall try to download Office on my laptop again and will let you know how it goes. I am very happy to have this downloaded. Can't wait to try it out. You are a very good person...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and I am happy to hear some of your issues have been resolved.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
Most things are under control on this machine anyway. Tomorrow I shall download Office on the laptop. I am really loving this new Computer. Maybe it is because it really goes fast and now I have Office. Yep, things are going much better. Many thanks to you..

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
Hi, I am glad that I really don't need Office on my laptop for I do not us it when I write. But, I do like the program and am learning more and more about it. So as you may have noticed by my ramblings I could not get it to download. It got to about the same place and it just quit. Really, I do wonder why but it is no big deal. I know that I have plenty of room on the laptop. Thank you once again. I for one am so glad you help those such as I. This is a great site.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a suggestion but what about copying the setup file from the desktop on to a flash drive and then trying to install it on the laptop from there?

Advertisements

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
Now that is an idea. I could try that. In fact later I may tackle that. Company for lunch then a restful Sunday. Yes, I will do exactly that. Never would have thought of that. Good thing you are there for you come up with neat things to try. Thank you..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you and let me know if it works for you. :thumbsup:

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
Hi, You will never believe this but I tried to download Office one more time before I tried your suggestion. It downloaded all the way through. I am just shaking my head and thinking what the heck. Could I have hit something ? I really have no idea what happened. I am tickled, it works and everything. Aren't we good? I do thank you for all your help. Having no idea what happened or why today it worked and it would not before I have no idea. But, I am enjoying learning all about it and it will work wonderful as I write. I do thank you Mr. rshaffer 61 for all your help. These machines are really something else. One would think they have a mind of their own. One is always learning something when they sit at the computer and try something new. Really neat, it really is.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am so glad everything worked out for you and if you have any questions about Open Office feel free to start a new topic in the Applications forum and we will try to help you as best as we can. I pick up a topic now and then there but I stay mostly in the OS forums. If you don't get a response in 3 days post in the waiting room or send me a pm and I will try to help or find someone who can.
For now I am very happy to say Congratulations Sharon lee. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
I shall remember that. I am thinking that this office and I will get along fine. And yes this issue is resolved. Thank you for all your time..Have a great week.