Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window 98 internet connection

• Please log in to reply

Hns123

Hns123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a computer and I have an internet router with a Ethernet cable. I hooked it up to my computer (a compaq presario 5151) and my computer seems not to be reading it. My other devices work. Does this have to do anything with it running windows 98? I called microsoft and they basically told me to buy a new computer, ( also one told me they were no longer trained in how to run windows98 so i dont know if they knew what they were talking about. I was planning to get a laptop but i still wanted this one to work. Any ideas on how to connect it without having to buy anything? If so its fine but is there any other way? Thanks!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Wow, Windows 98... going back to the stone age here aren't we?!

First things first, are the proper drivers installed for the NIC? Are you even able to confirm exactly which NIC is installed?

Here are the drivers for your machine, surprisingly still up and running on the HP website:
http://h10025.www1.h...duct=93108#N559

Cheers