Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to Get 2nd Monitor to Display on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
The updated lupu file worked & I got the puppy on the screen and retrieved all my photos (over 5000!) and my documents. After church, I am going to try the new Windows 7 Installation. I am assuming it will recognize all the harward in my computer and look for the appropriate software. Do I need to be connected to the internet when doing a fresh install of Windows7? Any more advice before I start?

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is the first time I have ever been able to retrieve my photos and documents from a computer that wouldn't boot, so I am ONE HAPPY CAMPER!!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Great news Quartz :D

On your return from church please try the following;

Have your Windows 7 ISO and product key to hand.

Run chkdsk and System File Checker (SFC) from the Recovery Console;

Boot the Windows 7 installation DVD
When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C:) and click Next
At the Choose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt.
You will be looking at X:\Sources directory
Run chkdsk or SFC
For chkdsk, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter (where C: is the drive letter).
For sfc, type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows and press Enter

Let either run to completion undisturbed or serious issues may occur.

The above is suggested in order to avoid you having to do a fresh installation, let us know how it goes so that I can advise accordingly.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
I am downloading the 64-bit ISO file from digitalriver and using IDM and the time is over 50 hours to download. I assume this means I am doing a clean install since my Windows Repair disc didn't help in repairing the computer. Any suggestions on how to download it faster? I've searched and can't find any help. I plan on using a flashdrive (USB) to install Windows again & will run what you have suggested....if I can get this file to download much faster. THANKS!!!

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
I finally borrowed a WINDOWS 7 disc...but my computer does not boot from it. I made sure the BISO was set to boot from DVD-ROM, and then my monitor is black. What the heck? I can't seem to win for losing! LOL At least before it was trying to boot from the harddrive or USB, but now I can't see the screen to even change it.

Edited by Quartz, 11 November 2013 - 10:12 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

I finally borrowed a WINDOWS 7 disc...

Is the disk a genuine Microsoft disk that is the exact version that you have ( Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 ).

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode.

As an asides Quartz I did suggest that the following was done so as to try and avoid the need for a fresh installation;

Run chkdsk and System File Checker (SFC) from the Recovery Console;

Boot the Windows 7 installation DVD
When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C:) and click Next
At the Choose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt.
You will be looking at X:\Sources directory
Run chkdsk or SFC
For sfc, type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows and press Enter

Let either run to completion undisturbed or serious issues may occur.

The above is suggested in order to avoid you having to do a fresh installation

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Yes, I have an original Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit DVD, but it does NOT read SP1 on it. Just has: "Licensed for distribution only with a new PC. Includes Windows Anytime Upgrade" My Dad's girlfriend didn't have her computer connected to surge protector and it got fried so she's buying a new computer, which is why she loaned me the disk.

I tried all of these:

Run chkdsk or SFC

Most of the time it told me there was a repair pending, or a similar message.

What do you suggest I do to get my monitor to come back on? I still hear the 1 beep when I boot the computer, the keyboard lights come on, etc. - I just can't SEE what's going on.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Just has: "Licensed for distribution only with a new PC.

This sounds like the disk is an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) type such as ACER, Dell or HP, if this is the case then you cannot use it on a computer other than the brand and model it is intended for, this because it contains drivers and other software on it that are not compatible with other computers.

I tried all of these:
Run chkdsk or SFC

When did you try all of the above.

Most of the time it told me there was a repair pending, or a similar message.

Suggests a problem with the OS or the HDD having bad sectors on it which can also lead to the OS becoming damaged and unable to load.

What do you suggest I do to get my monitor to come back on? I still hear the 1 beep when I boot the computer, the keyboard lights come on, etc. - I just can't SEE what's going on.

As per my reply #21;
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode.

Which video port are you connected to the MBs or the add on video card.

Do you get a BIOS screen when you first turn on the computer.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
I was getting the regular Windows Screen with all the options, Safe Mode, go to set-up, BIOS, etc. before I changed the BIOS to boot from the CD-DVD first. This is when the monitor went black. I assumed it would bypass and go to the harddrive and the monitor would come on, but it doesn't. The monitor is hooked into the blue pin outlet...not using the HDMI, but I can change monitors if you think this will help. I ran all the other options BEFORE I rec'd the Windows Disk, but nothing helped. The Windows DVD doesn't have Dell, HP, or anything like that on it. I have Windows XP on this computer(DELL)and I have all the installation discs which has DELL on them.

Edited by Quartz, 12 November 2013 - 02:09 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Hello Quartz

The thread is getting a bit disjointed so can you please answer the questions that I ask in the corresponding order so as to avoid any confusion, thanks.

I was getting the regular Windows Screen with all the options, Safe Mode, go to set-up, BIOS, etc. before I changed the BIOS to boot from the CD-DVD first. This is when the monitor went black. I assumed it would bypass and go to the harddrive and the monitor would come on, but it doesn't.

Changing the boot priority correctly would not cause a black screen, as you have quite correctly said the BIOS will search until it finds a bootable device, be it 1st, 2nd or 3rd on the boot list.

The monitor is hooked into the blue pin outlet...not using the HDMI,

Your computer has two graphics solutions, an add on ASUS HD 6670 and the MBs integrated HD 6550D, the images that I have obtained of the ASUS HD 6670 show that it does not have a blue VGA port which suggests that you may be connected to the MBs integrated VGA port, is this correct or do you in fact have two blue VGA ports, ASUS HD 6670 image and the MBs integrated video port

I have Windows XP on this computer(DELL)and I have all the installation discs which has DELL on them.

Sorry but I am confused as your Speccy url shows that you have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 installed and in your OP you have said;

Windows 7 is not recognizing my second monitor

and in reply #22

Yes, I have an original Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit DVD,

Can you please clarify.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hello Quartz

The thread is getting a bit disjointed so can you please answer the questions that I ask in the corresponding order so as to avoid any confusion, thanks.

I was getting the regular Windows Screen with all the options, Safe Mode, go to set-up, BIOS, etc. before I changed the BIOS to boot from the CD-DVD first. This is when the monitor went black. I assumed it would bypass and go to the harddrive and the monitor would come on, but it doesn't.

Changing the boot priority correctly would not cause a black screen, as you have quite correctly said the BIOS will search until it finds a bootable device, be it 1st, 2nd or 3rd on the boot list.

The monitor is hooked into the blue pin outlet...not using the HDMI,

Your computer has two graphics solutions, an add on ASUS HD 6670 and the MBs integrated HD 6550D, the images that I have obtained of the ASUS HD 6670 show that it does not have a blue VGA port which suggests that you may be connected to the MBs integrated VGA port, is this correct or do you in fact have two blue VGA ports, ASUS HD 6670 image and the MBs integrated video port

You are correct. I had the monitor plugged into the other one, which does have the "old type" monitor plug-ins. I changed it to the one you had the link to, and it came on! WOW! Now, I am at BIOS again!!! Thank you so VERY much.

I have Windows XP on this computer(DELL)and I have all the installation discs which has DELL on them.

Sorry but I am confused as your Speccy url shows that you have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 installed and in your OP you have said;

Windows 7 is not recognizing my second monitor

and in reply #22

Yes, I have an original Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit DVD,

Can you please clarify.

I was just wondering why the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit DVD I borrowed would not have the computer name (Dell, HP, etc.) on the disc as my disks do that go to my Dell computer, which does run XP. So sorry for that confusion! It is (was) my understanding that the computer would boot to a Windows 7 DVD. I didn't realize it would not work if it is Licensed for dist. only w/a new PC.

OK!!! My computer just booted to the WINDOWS 7 DVD I borrowed! Now, I am going to go back & read your instructions on how to install/repair without having to do a fresh install! What is confusing to me is that it says Windows 7 is on D: Drive C. So, is it actually on C: drive, but shows up as D:? THANK YOU!!!

Edited by Quartz, 12 November 2013 - 05:43 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Go to Start then to Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take an expanded screenshot and attach it to your next reply.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
I finally got it done and on the computer now! THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all your help and support! You can close this thread.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
I am pleased that all is now well and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup:

Just a FYI, Tech topics are not closed unless there is a specific reason such as a breach of the TOU so if the problem reoccurs you can post back here.