Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need OS advice please

• Please log in to reply

Argent

Argent

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good day,

I'm trying to find a way to make my life easier. My mother in law has a computer, which she uses to play farmville, pogo, chat on facebook, and watch netflix and hulu. That's pretty much it.

It came with Vista, but should be able to run windows 7.

The problem is that she will take the advice of anybody and everybody she talks to on facebook. one guy told her to delete all her *.dll files to make the computer run faster, One time she installed PC anyware and gave the log-in information to the nice guy she was talking to. She has no security sense, and no clue how to fix the problems she gets into.

Her son installed Ubuntu to try to stop these problems, which has worked for over a year now; except for constantly forgetting her password. But now her netflix account will not play, and the Linux using son can't find the problem.

Can anybody suggest anything here? Can I put Vista, or W7 on and still have some way to stop her from changing the settings, or deleting needed files? Is there a Linux version that lets silverlight work?

I can't lock her out of the files completely, because she will download and print off recipes, and knitting patterns from time to time.

Please God, help me.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi Argent :welcome:

Was she running Windows Vista using a normal user account and not as Administrator?

From what you describe most of that if not all could be stopped if the user doesn't have Administrator privileges.

flyboy1565

flyboy1565

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Agree, with sleepydude. Give her standard user priviliage. I wouldn't recommend doing the linux because you'd need to help teach her some of the basic differences.