Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unstable Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply

SergeantStevie

SergeantStevie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have recently changed from ADSL to Virgin Media 60Mb Cable but I am having problems with my powerful Windows 7 Iltimate 64bit desktop connecting via ethernet. Initially I put the Cable Modem/Router into Modem Mode (the ISP Provided the cable modem/router, but Netgear manufactured it), and connected a brand new Linksys EA6700 Router for cable connections, then connected my desktop to the first LAN port on the Linksys. The computer got an IP address and I performed the first time setup on it, at first the computer didn't have an Internet connection but halfway through the setup it did so I was happy.

After this the problems started, I ended up unable to connect to the Linksys or the Netgear Cable Modem (In router mode or Modem mode) via ethernet. Other devices could connect wirelessly to both the Linksys Router and the Netgear Modem (when in router mode), and I asked a few people what the problem could be & it was suggested that I disable IPv6 in the ethernet adapter properties, I did and was able to get an IP through DHCP rather than manually entering IP, subnet etc.

However that was not the end of my problems. Once I got connected to either the Netgear modem or Linksys router, the Internet connection is very unstable, web pages started coming up with corrupted images or come up as nonsense text, certain Adobe Flash "movies" would also fail to load (such as the speed checker on speedtest.net). Eventually I cleared both IE & Firefox cache as well as flushing the DNS cache, this seemed to help significantly with corrupted images & flash objects and websites now rarely have corrupted text. However YouTube videos start playing then skip ahead and go to green or black screens instead of the actual video, and the speed tester on speedtest.net now does not complete the download test & progress to the upload test if the download speed is more than about 5Mb/s.

I have also found that downloads of any size won't complete, either they don't start downloading or they stop at ~90-99%. If they do complete they are often corrupted. I also use Steam for gaming & the Steam news images were corrupted & game updates took ages to complete because they would start and stop. Normal web browsing seems to work ok, I can access Facebook and Twitter ok without corruptions etc.

One of the devices I connected was a Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Laptop, this connects just fine to both the Netgear and the Linksys Router without me having to disable IPv6 in the adapter properties, it also runs the same version of IE, Firefox & Adobe Flash and has no problems playing YouTube videos or doing a speedtest on speedtest.net. I have also tried an old Acer laptop with Vista Home Premium on the ethernet directly to the Netgear cable modem & it too works fine.

I use Norton Internet Security as my antivirus & I have done a full system scan with nothing found, I will scan with MBAM in an hour once I get home, and I am considering running a couple of preboot virus scans just to ensure it isn't virus related.

I am at a loss as to what to do now so I would very much appreciate some assistance.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi SergeantStevie and welcome to the forums.

Just to confirm, the problem is only limited to the Windows 7 Ultimate desktop and the other PCs are perfectly fine?

Have you finished running your scans?

Cheers

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Welcome to GTG :thumbsup:

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.
http://download.blee...MiniToolBox.exe

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

Download Autoruns and Autorunsc
http://download.sysi...es/Autoruns.zip
Unzip it to your desktop and then double click autoruns.exe After the scan is finished then click on File>>>>>>>>>>>Save The default name will be autoruns.arn make sure to save it as Autoruns.txt under the file type option. in other words make sure it is a .txt file instead of .arn Attach the text in your next reply.