Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8.1 preuninstall

• Please log in to reply

OnceMore

OnceMore

• Pip
  • 9 posts
i just got windows 8 last night, and i'm trying to install 8.1. it's telling me to uninstall an app called sentinel drivers first, and that I can pause and rebegin after I uninstall from the store. the problem is there is no app listed on my tiles or under programs called sentinel drivers. how can I find this app to uninstall it?

Advertisements

OnceMore

OnceMore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I found the solution myself via a bing search and looking at Microsoft answers. The key is to install this Sentinel Protection Installation, and then uninstall it. I don't know where Sentinel Drivers came from, I didn't recognize it by it's descriptions and it appears (the Protection Installer at least) it has something to do with servers (which this newly purchased laptop is not, so I uninstalled it without much look into and if I get future problems i'll just have to figure them out --- bad critical thinking I know). If anyone else comes up with this issue though, here is the link to the Sentinel Protection Installer.

http://www.safenet-i...ntinel-drivers/

OnceMore

OnceMore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
okay, update. that fix said it unstalled correctly, Microsoft answers said this would uninstall sentinel runtime drivers, and the windows update to 8.1 started like it was going to install, then stopped and said please uninstall sentinel runtime drivers so this "fix" (more like bandaid solution) didn't work.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you see this? It's the 4th post in the thread here: Remove Sentinel Runtime drivers

This works. In my case I had to feed it the -purge command as I launched it. For anyone who is unfamiliar with CMD in general. Basically download the installer from command line, open CMD in windows, go to the download location, drag the file into the CMD prompt, it will auto locate address of the file. Then before hitting return type "-purge" no quotes, on the end of the file address, this will feed it the -purge command and once its done, it took 10 mins on my computer, your Windows 8 update should proceed as normal.