Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio crackling and video lagging

• Please log in to reply

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I recently upgraded to an AMD Radeon HD 7950 from a 4850 and since then I've been having audio issues and video rendering issues. My speakers randomly crackle, even when no sound is being output. Additionally, sound will crackle quite often when I play music or a movie. This happens more frequently the longer I leave on my computer. When I try to play video, there seems to be some sort of frame rate loss. I'm not really sure what to do - I've tried both speakers and headphones and both have the same problem. I've uninstalled all my video drivers and reinstalled them, reinstalled my video codecs, tried a different video player, installed windows updates, all to no avail. Not really sure what to do from this point on, I'd really appreciate some help with this issue though

Edited by yesiammanu, 29 October 2013 - 06:58 PM.

Advertisements

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
You were doing fine before the upgrade? Also where are you getting your sound from? The audio chip in the video card (that would mean HDMI setup) or onboard/sound card setup?

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I think I'm getting it from the motherboard with a phone connector. Not 100% sure, I'm not very good with computers. It's an integrated sound card. I forgot to mention that I also cleaned the ports a bit and still have trouble with it. I didn't have problems before the upgrade. Additionally, the crackling sometimes becomes severe temporarily when doing something strenuous, such as starting up a game

Edited by yesiammanu, 30 October 2013 - 02:05 PM.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Go in the device manager and disable the sound chip in your video card if you're using your motherboard sound chip.

What video hookup are you using? DVI? HDMI?

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I have two under that field: "AMD High Definition Audio Device" and "High Definition Audio Device". I disabled the AMD one, and no change it seems

I'm using one dual DVI and one DVI port- the dual DVI has a VGA converter and the main display uses a dvi cable

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Try putting your old video card back in and see if it goes away. If it did then I would suspect the new video card somehow but disabling the sound chip of that card didn't correct the problem so I'm thinking some kind of conflicts is going on like as if they're trying to use the same resources.

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Are there any steps I can take before that? I don't have the video card on hand

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I don't know what else to suggest. I'm at a lose here.

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I've been having another issue quite frequently now that might be related. Several times every day my monitors will turn black, and momentarily turn back on saying they recovered from an AMD display driver issue. I've tried reinstalling the drivers several times, I don't know what to do.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
We're not able to consider the possibility of your new video card being the problem if you can't put the old card back in. It's a process of elimination there.

Advertisements

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I'm trying the old video card now and after a while (had a lot of trouble getting the drivers to work) I'm using it and it works fine. I still occasionally hear output when there hsould be 0 audio output, but the sound doesn't crackle anymore and as far as I can tell, video isn't lagging either. Should I RMA the other card?

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
That showed the new video card to be the problem but the question is, is it the drivers or the card itself?

Did you use the Windows drivers or the drivers supplied with the card?

I'd suggest going to the maker's website and see if they have a bulletin or updated drivers for your card.

EDIT: If that's not found then go ahead and RMA the card. That's the last elimination process I can think of.

Edited by Brazened, 06 November 2013 - 05:50 PM.

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I went to the catalyst control center website and downloaded drivers from there. I did the same thing for this video card and it caused large issues until I allowed windows to install a driver by itself. I'll try letting windows install its own driver

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
The Windows drivers are pretty generic but maybe that's all you'll need.

By the way, do you have Windows Update enabled? Windows Update will seek and install all the latest drivers for your components, largely from the makers' sites.

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I don't have it enabled but I manually check it every so often

The audio crackles when I put it back in with only having the windows driver, but not as bad as previously.

I'm having trouble finding firmware for my motherboard/cpu chipset. There's several options even when I look at the specifications and I don't know which to choose. I tried picking one up randomly and it didn't run on my system (said wrong hardware). When I open up the motherboard it says P45 Neo3 MS 7514 Ver 1.0. I think it is a DP45SG chipset with an Intel Duo Core e8400 Wolfdale. Could you help me find the appropriate firmware? Maybe that would fix it. Otherwise I'll RMA

Thanks for your help so far

Attached Thumbnails

• latency.png

Edited by yesiammanu, 07 November 2013 - 10:47 PM.