Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

advent won't boot

• Please log in to reply

charlesdc

charlesdc

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My first time on here, so please bear with me...
I've had an Advent 5711 for many years and it's been a good workhorse. My job, (marine engineer) means it's had a lot of knocks and use but until a few days ago, no probs. Turned off one night, next day it powers up, HD light flashes twice, (then stays OFF), all "normal" lights come on, fan runs, then it shuts down after 27 seconds. Then it will repeat this process continuously shutting down each time after exactly 27 seconds.

If I do the same with the battery out, the same occurs, but it goes through the cycle only once.

I've tried all the suggested fixes i can find, ie removing battery, power, holding on switch for a minute, removing memory, HD, blowing out dust etc, and all combinations of the above.
A couple of points though...i'm not sure if the lid switch is good, the battery is NOT good, but this has been the case for a long time, during which time i had no problems.
I thought maybe it was a heat issue, but would have thought the time for it to shut down would have decreased after cycling a few times...?

Due to my location at the moment, i've not been able to check the DC supply from charger, but after being connected for a period the battery light DOES change from charging to full...constant green.
Could all these symptoms be due to a dodgy lid switch, or DC supply, or the 2 combined?

ANY suggestions would be most gratefully received, as I'm sure you appreciate, in my particular job, a very large hammer would normally be the next step...and I do like this laptop!
Many thanks,
Charlie ps
I get nothing at all on the screen during all the above. I connected to another monitor but still nothing

Edited by charlesdc, 30 October 2013 - 02:57 AM.

Advertisements

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I would suspect the battery as its duty cycles are about used up after so many years. True you can run off the charger but the battery buffers it and provide capacity (amperage.)

charlesdc

charlesdc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for that...If it's the battery I suppose it could be a lot worse!
I've tested the charger output voltage and it's fine. What I can't understand is that everything sounds and looks good (ie fan, lights, quick flash of hard drive), then shutdown...After this initial start up, do laptops need considerably more amps to actually boot?

Do you know of anyway to get round this without fitting new battery? I'm in Italy where NOTHING is simple, and if I did find the right one, it's cost me a fortune! If I could just get one boot out of it, i'd leave it on.

Thanks for your reply mate, much appreciated.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
You'll need a battery really, I don't think you can get around that. The power supply converts the AC from your socket to DC and may not be well filtered to provide a smooth flow. Maybe not enough amps either. The battery acts as a capacitor as well as storage. It provide the amperage needed to power the system.

charlesdc

charlesdc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, and thanks again.