I'm trying to set up the FTP on mybooklive (NAS) so that I can access it outside of my home network.
What I did:
1. Enabled FTP access on NAS
2. Created a user/pass for FTP access
3. Reserved IP address for NAS in router using DCHP Reservation
4. Forwarded port 21
5. Got my external IP address from http://www.whatsmyip.org/
6. Tested on ftptest.net with external ip address, port 21, and user/pass for FTP -- and it worked.
7. Tested with Filezilla with the same logins and port, but it did NOT work.
8. Tested with Filezilla again with local IP address, and it connected.
I just don't know why I can't connect it outside of network. Networking's a like a new language to me. So if you can dummy down your guide/help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!