Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ftptest.net works but Filezilla won't connect?

• Please log in to reply

houshoin

houshoin

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi All,

I'm trying to set up the FTP on mybooklive (NAS) so that I can access it outside of my home network.

What I did:

1. Enabled FTP access on NAS
2. Created a user/pass for FTP access
3. Reserved IP address for NAS in router using DCHP Reservation
4. Forwarded port 21
5. Got my external IP address from http://www.whatsmyip.org/
6. Tested on ftptest.net with external ip address, port 21, and user/pass for FTP -- and it worked.
7. Tested with Filezilla with the same logins and port, but it did NOT work.
8. Tested with Filezilla again with local IP address, and it connected.

I just don't know why I can't connect it outside of network. Networking's a like a new language to me. So if you can dummy down your guide/help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts
Hi,

Try to connect without using Passive mode and see if it works. Or use Passive mode if using PORT mode.

Edited by SleepyDude, 30 October 2013 - 01:54 PM.

houshoin

houshoin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks for the reply. I tried with both Passive mode and without Passive mode but it didn't work on Filezilla. Maybe I configured Filezilla incorrectly? I left the PORT blank but when it tried to connect, it seemed to may have attempted to connect through port 21 in the body message. I'm not really sure what to do at this point.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts
Hi,

On Filezilla settings FTP / Active mode do you have it set to Get external IP address from the following URL...?

houshoin

houshoin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I actually tried it with different settings in the FTP Settings panel.

Here's what I have right now in the FTP Settings panel:

FTP: Passive (checked) --- Allow to fall back to other transfer mode on failure (checked) ---- everything else is unchecked.

-Active Mode: Ask your operating system for the external IP address (checked) ---- everything else is unchecked.
-Passive Mode: Fall back to active mode.
-FTP Proxy: None

Thanks for helping!

EDIT: I just tried to connect again with FireFTP for Firefox, and it didn't work, neither Passive or Active mode worked. Guess I'll just have to use the web interface for access instead of FTP......

Edited by houshoin, 30 October 2013 - 07:38 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts
Hi,

If you want me to do some testing please PM me the server details.
If you setup a user only with read-only access and limited to a single folder with a dummy file will be fine for testing.