Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Managing and Configuring please help asap

• Please log in to reply

RichyRocker423

RichyRocker423

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So I have an Alienware 14 (please no angry spam about it, it is what it is) and I am planning to get a second hard drive, a solid state drive for the available hard drive port in it. Originally I wanted to boot off of the ssd and run most games off the ssd while everything else is for the hdd but that would cost a lot of power, and my batteries bad enough as it is. So ive come to the conclusion of getting a good size ssd and using it as the primary hard drive while I leave the HDD in there as a sort of storage chest, and only turn it on when I want to access the files on it. My question is:

Can I turn off my secondary HDD from windows without shutting off my computer or opening it up at all? Like just turn it off so that it's not taking any power? Also will I be able to turn it back on to access it the same way?

Tech specs:
Windows 7
Free fall data protection on the current HDD
Intel rapid storage technology as one of the programs I have, in case that helps at all.
Alienware 14, not the m14, the newest version of it.

Advertisements

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I don't think you can turn off the HDD without pulling the plug. You could disable it in the BIOS but the drive will still spin as long as the power plug's in.

RichyRocker423

RichyRocker423

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
for now it seems the answer is i cannot, but i do have another question

how do i get the contents off the hdd and on to the sdd and get windows and all that on it?

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
There's a way to do it but I don't know how. Hopefully someone here will kick in or you can Google it and learn how.