Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Choosing a heatsink - I need help

• Please log in to reply

helpingfamily

helpingfamily

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A family member told me they were having issues with a computer and to me it sounded like heat. I suggested they take open the case and use a fan to blow in cool air to test. This apparently stopped the computer from bouncing. I told them that I had some thermal paste that may resolve the issue and told them to drop it by.

Well, I think they are tinkering with building low end computers as I received a Shuttle case, Shuttle MB, etc. and I was not able to speak with them at length while it was all dropped off to know for sure. (This owner is very in experienced with computers in general.) The heat sink was somehow "kind of" on with rubber bands (he took if off while I wasn't looking I just saw the results), the cpu itself wasn't actually locked into place and of course the fan was dirty.

I'm sure we all know the number of problems that may exist....

I work on a myriad of systems, but have never chosen a heat sink from scratch and think the one I am looking at is not made for this CPU/motherboard. The "arm" coming out of the CPU holding item is well less wide than the arms with loops at the end coming out of the heat sink to attach to that now doesn't have anything to attach to. Sorry for the lack of correct terms here. I do notice some holes in the motherboard that are much wider than the CPU that perhaps a heat sink could use, but not the one I have unless there is a lost frame for it.

So, is a heat sink specific to a CPU and is that how I look for one? Or is it specific to a motherboard, and that's how I find it?

EDIT: OK, I think the Socket is the key to finding a fan. The Shuttle is a very small case and frankly I don't know how much it will be used. It has Pentium Dual Core E2220. Will a $10 fan suffice?
Thanks for point me in the right direction.

Note: The MB has the following ID K4800000-B00-15

Edited by helpingfamily, 01 November 2013 - 10:14 AM.

Advertisements

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
It's hard to say. I think it would depend on how much CFM the fan can provide and that the heatsink is big enough to pull the heat.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The CPU is the LGA775 type and that is the type of compatible HS and cooling fan that you require, see Here comes with a thermal pad pre applied.

You must ensure that the old thermal paste is cleaned off with a solvent such Isopropyl alcohol which is 99+ % alcohol + a lint free cloth, do not use anything sharp/pointed to scrape the paste off the top of the CPU as the scratches will not allow the new paste to do it`s job properly.

NB: A common thermal paste remover is ArtiClean but I did not suggest it as it costs around $7-8 and you mentioned the purchase of a $10 cooler and so I was not sure of your budget for the replacement.