Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cccleaner isues

• Please log in to reply

ding dong

ding dong

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I ran cc cleaner and it failed to finish wiping after 2 days - kept looping.

I uninstalled it thinking it a bad load. So before I load it again someone said that it supposedly leaves large files behind that need to be cleared - how do I get to these to clear them before I reload cccleaner?

Advertisements

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Well, we don't recommend CCleaner. This application is capable to do harm with it's registry mixing abilities.
Please reconsioder changing it to something another, like TFC by OldTimer.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop.
  • Double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running Vista or higher, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

A little description:

When run, the application will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

I know that TFC doesn't have the exactly the same functions as CCleaner, but it's at least a lot safer.

someone said that it supposedly leaves large files behind that need to be cleared

Never heard about it.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Thats odd, why do most help sites recommend cc cleaner?

http://pcsupport.abo...er-programs.htm

http://forums.pcworl...gistry-cleaner/

http://social.techne...7itproappcompat

Edited by ding dong, 01 November 2013 - 07:14 PM.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
We also find some CCleaner features useful. We do not recommend it for registry cleaning services, because without some advanced knowledge what it does in the registry it can cause much harm to the OS.

See also here.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
OK, so back to my problem - how do I dientify these supposed files that it has left behind from a failed wipe free space scan?

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Could you be more specific?
Name the exact files please.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

OK, so back to my problem - how do I dientify these supposed files that it has left behind from a failed wipe free space scan?

If I may interrupt to add my 2 cents... you don't, because as far as I know, they don't exist! I don't know who told you that Ccleaner leaves large files behind after uninstalling, but I've never heard of that and I had used Ccleaner for years till I was introduced to TFC by OldTimer.

I agree with Naathim. If you take a moment to read the articles more thoroughly in the links you provided here, you'll find the majority of experts do not recommend registry cleaners.

In the About.Com PC Support article is the following:

Important: Free registry cleaners should only be used to troubleshoot specific issues, NOT as part of your regular PC maintenance. See my Registry Cleaner FAQ for more about registry cleaning and registry cleaner software.

And in this link, read posts 5 down. Majority of the members do not recommend registry cleaners and those that do did not take into consideration the skill level of those they were recommending the program to. Sure! They are fine if you know what not to allow to be removed. Many PC users do not.

In the last link, same thing. Read the thread more thoroughly.

We advise not to use Ccleaner or any registry cleaner as there have been reports of them clearing out needed registry entries and messing up PCs. In addition, what they do clean up is so small that little or no advantages are noticed.

Modifying registry keys incorrectly can cause Windows instability, or make Windows unbootable. No registry cleaner is completely safe and the potential is ever present to cause more problems than they claim to fix.

Registry cleaners cannot distinguish between good and bad. If you run a registry cleaner, it will delete all those keys which are obsolete and sitting idle; but in reality, those keys may well be needed by some programs or windows at a later time.

Windows is a closed source system. Developers of registry cleaners do not have the core code of Windows and are not working on definitive information, but rather they are going on past knowledge and experience. Automatic cleaners will usually have to do some guesswork.

Also, the default settings in Ccleaner include clearing out Windows Log files and Memory Dumps. These are very important log files that might be needed to diagnosis and find solutions to specific problems.

On another note, the Windows Operating Systems of today is a far cry from the ones of the past. Windows is more robust, HDD's are bigger and better and most computer systems have more and better RAM as well as faster processors. Windows handles temp files much more efficiently and doesn't store as many temp files that aren't needed like it used to. Disk cleaners have their place and are needed on occasion, just not as frequently as they once were needed.

Ccleaner only cleans the user account you are logged in to, whereas TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

:thumbsup:

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I will try to find the link bt it was not left behind after uninstalling - they supposedly get left behind when cccleaner fails to complete its task of wiping and loops.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

I will try to find the link bt it was not left behind after uninstalling

May I ask, link to what?

they supposedly get left behind when cccleaner fails to complete its task of wiping and loops.

I had never had this trouble with Ccleaner when I did use it. Personally, from experience, I would follow Naathim's suggestion and use TFC, which will remove only the necessary files that need to be removed and leave the registry as it should be.

Naathim provided the Download link for TFC in his post above.

:thumbsup:

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
here is one of many links explainig from the makers of ccleaner what happens: http://forum.pirifor...showtopic=39417

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
So there is your answer :thumbsup:

And again if so, then we have got our confirmation why TFC is a little better ;)

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I have questions however about the partitioning and dont want to have to join every site where a seeming answer is when I am already on this one. If you guys dont know anything about this then maybe that is my option.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

I have questions however about the partitioning and dont want to have to join every site where a seeming answer is when I am already on this one. If you guys dont know anything about this then maybe that is my option.

What partitioning?

I ran cc cleaner and it failed to finish wiping after 2 days - kept looping.

I uninstalled it thinking it a bad load. So before I load it again someone said that it supposedly leaves large files behind that need to be cleared - how do I get to these to clear them before I reload cccleaner?

I thought you started this thread to discuss why Ccleaner failed and what to do about large files that were supposedly left behind.

We could change the subject of this topic in mid-thread, though I think it is best if you explain yourself in detail to prevent confusion.

We really do want to help you, ding dong. Please help us to help you.

Donna :)

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
It was suggested that my answer was in the link I supplied.