Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recommendation for installation with dual-boot

• Please log in to reply

clearlyclearly

clearlyclearly

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
This post has been moved from the malware section.

Thread here.

"Thanks emeraldnzl,

I did try the bootsect.exe without success. Actually the boot folder on my dvd didn't have it, but I have recently burned a Win7Pro 64bit ISO and used the bootsect.exe in that disc.

Strangely, my original Win7 Ultimate 64bit disc (as photographed), and the newly burned Win7Pro 64bit disc both produce the same error when I boot off the disc. They both say "This version of Windows does not match the one on the sytem" or something similar. It's a VBOKOnly dialog so I can't access startup repair. Rather strange as during this long process I was previosly able to boot off my Win7 Ultimate disc and use the system repair tools there.

Anyway, I don't expect that will be a problem if I format the drive and start fresh. That appears to be my last resort now and I'm going to do that probably this weekend. The latest Win7 Pro 64bit ISO on the HEIDOC.net site (called "Media refresh") is what I'll try to use to format and then re-install, using the original product key on my pink and white sticker under my battery. As you say, once that's installed I can try restoring a system image. At least then I'll have a working computer!!

Will let you know how that goes. Thank you so much for your long-standing patience and support. :thumbsup:

Perhaps at this point I can ask about recommendations of installation with dual-boot? I think it would be great to have a linux (ubuntu) OS on the drive to future-proof against similar Microsoft self-destruction..."

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello clearlyclearly

An excellent step by step tutorial detailing both a Windows/Ubuntu and a Ubuntu/Windows dual boot is available from Here

Tip
Windows can sometimes have problems with Ubuntu partitions so I suggest that you install W7 first, Ubuntu should then detect the Windows partition and suggest the appropriate step/s.

Hope this helps - any questions please let us know.

clearlyclearly

clearlyclearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi philpower2,

Thank you for the link and the advice, much appreciated. I have burned the Ubuntu disc and am going to use it to install ubuntu alongside Windows 7.

Thank you kindly.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are most welcome clearlyclearly :thumbsup:

clearlyclearly

clearlyclearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi philpower2,

Emeraldnzl suggested I ask you. I have had such a long process of not being able to boot into Windows leading eventually to emeraldnzl moving me over to your thread (from this one http://www.geekstogo...63#entry2348463)

Well I took the day off work to try and format and re-install. I first tried to restore to the system image from a couple of months back, using the option in System Repair from my Win7 Ultimate 64bit repair disc. Remember, originally I tried restoring the latest system image which was from the day before, but that booted me back into the can't load Windows 7 boot loop.

Well this older system image has booted into Windows!
I am rather stunned. Does this mean the problem does not reside "outside of windows" after all?

Thanks so much

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello clearlyclearly

Such a scenario is possible but keep in mind that it could have been caused by a bad update, HDDs can also be fickle and work one minute/day but not the next, one such cause can be bad sectors on the HDD that are moved as they cannot be repaired, this is not a cure though if it is the case as where you get one bad sector more will follow, I suggest that a new image of the drive is made first and I will then provide you with a diagnostic software for you to run.

clearlyclearly

clearlyclearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi philpower2,

Thank your for your help.
I have now made a new system image of my C: drive. This is of course not dis-similar to the image I used to successfully restore to (July 2013), essentially it's only a week on from that image. I have yet to reboot since successfully restoring! I'm going to run a full system scan overnight with Microsoft Security Essentials.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update clearlyclearly :thumbsup:

clearlyclearly

clearlyclearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
The full Microsoft Security Essentials scan ran and found zero threats on my PC and external hard drives.
Would you be able to help me with some diagnostics you mentioned at some point please?
It's been such a long process and we still don't know what caused my system to go into the horrible unbootable loop.
I've yet to reboot since restoring but of course Windows will need a reboot sooner or later.
Thanks so much.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Before you proceed I must make you aware that HDD testing software is designed to stress test the drive and this can result in a flaky HDD failing completely.

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool;
Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable DVD/CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a DVD/CD disk depending on your OS (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the disk bootable.

RE ImgBurn: please use the custom install and uncheck the attached foistware such as "Install Entrusted Toolbar etc

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Advertisements

clearlyclearly

clearlyclearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi philpower2, thanks for this. I have run the SeaTools for Windows and it passed all tests - S.M.A.R.T, short drive self test, short generic and long generic.
When I previously ran SeaTools via DOS and a bootable CD with emeraldnzl's help it actually didn't recognise the drive, but the Lenovo hard drive tool identified it as a seagate at that stage.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello clearlyclearly

Good news that the HDD has passed all tests :thumbsup:

There is not a great deal more (if anything) that can be done testing wise so what I suggest now is that you create a new restore point, check for and install any/all important Windows updates, if the computer is updated and runs without any problem/s again create a new restore point and finally run SFC, please see below;

Go to Start and then to Search
Type in: sfc /scannow
Press Enter
Have the correct Windows DVD handy (not always required).
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
The log is often a big file so upload it to http://www.mediafire.com/ and then post the download link here.

How to use mediafire http://en.kioskea.ne...es-to-mediafire

clearlyclearly

clearlyclearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi philpower2, thanks for this. I'm on it at the moment. I can't help wondering whether the computer will boot back into Windows. Remember I have yet to reboot since the successful system image restore back to a July image. It's been 10 days now? Perhaps I should try reboot before installing all 98 "important" Windows Updates? If I can't boot then I'll have to try restore to the latest system image.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello clearlyclearly

Personally I would rather the OS be fully up to date before rebooting the computer but you have to restart it at some point, the final decision lays with your good self I`m afraid :(

clearlyclearly

clearlyclearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Phil, well I have updated the system with important Windows Updates (before successfully rebooting - yay!), and also the Lenovo Solution Centre updates.
I created a system restore point and ran SFC. I missed the latter part of the command window so didn't see if there were any successful or error messages. The command window was gone so I can only presume it ran successfully and didn't require the DVD.
I attach the SFC log.
Thank you so much.

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.log   1.56MB   198 downloads