Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to install windows 7 on XP, driver load issues & more, cust

• Please log in to reply

Destiny000

Destiny000

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I was given this computer that was custom built tower, not fully completed with a windows 7 (64) they were going to install but didn't get around to it.I made a usb boot of it. I can get to the installation but when I get to the load drivers part I can't do anything past that as nothing is displayed. I tried all online fixes and all they get me is another error when it restarts on boot manager oxc0000098.

I can reset this and go back again but then I'm back to my first problem. I hope you can help me, I've been at this all day.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the Win7 a original OS installation disk or a beta version?
That error usually indicates that the trial version has elapsed and you would need to get a full original OS installation.

Destiny000

Destiny000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Original. I cannot use a cd as the disk drive is unusable at the moment, I need a new one. So I made the usb boot on my other computer. I even tried finding other windows 7 online to try them and see if something new happened. There is video's on youtube on how to fix the issue however it just made me get the other error I mentioned. I have a bunch of drives in it as well that need formatted, it can't use alot of them although it does list them somewhere I saw when I went in to change the boot.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First thing I would suggest is to disconnect all other HD's except the one you want to load Win7 on.
Secondly Do you have a legal Microsoft Win7 cd with serial number?
Thirdly if the system is a custom build and the above answer is yes you can do the following.

You can download a legal copy of Windows 7 with SP1 integrated from here:

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO. The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.
  • Download and run Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3
  • Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
  • Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
  • Select your USB flash drive
  • Click Create
For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.

Destiny000

Destiny000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I downloaded another copy from your link and just did it again but I get the same problem. There is no drivers to load and I cannot advance.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How old is the system and is there any warranty on the parts still active? I would suggest replacing the cd drive so that this can continue because at this point we don't even know if the HD is good without running diagnostics on it. We can't do that without a working cd drive.

Destiny000

Destiny000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Ok I'll do that, and when I get one I'll let you know. Thanks for your help thus far, appreciate your time. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and if needed I can ask another tech to join us if I run out of ideals. :thumbsup: