Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system restore

• Please log in to reply

Auseeker

Auseeker

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, system restore is not working, when I tried going to safe mode a blue screen came up stating the computer was shutdown due to a problem to prevent damage, etc. at which time my eyes glazed over. I'm running XP home, there's no evidence of any malware or such & I don't have other problems.

Advertisements

stutts

stutts

• Pip
  • 9 posts
It might help to know if you are running a desktop or Laptop(?)

Often with a laptop old enough to be running XP, the shutdown to prevent damage is often caused by a build-up of dust in the PC which causes an overheating problem. When you can't get to safe mode or Desktop, it points to a probable heat problem rather than a Malware problem (yes, it could be that too). Heat issues are more common in old laptops than desktops.

What about Desktop, can you get to that?

Please visit the link here provided:

Advanced troubleshooting for general startup problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308041

Edited by stutts, 02 November 2013 - 11:15 PM.

Auseeker

Auseeker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello stutts, you're absolutely right about providing that tidbit of info! I'm having this problem on a desktop. No trouble with heat, the side of the case is open because I was about to clone the hard drive, but couldn't access an internet connection & thought about going back a few days. Presently I'm running on a back up hard drive. I haven't tried to use system restore on this hard drive.