Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU bottleneck?

• Please log in to reply

joybz

joybz

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi guys,

Im currently running an
i3 3220
8gb DDR3
AMD 7950 3gb (powercolor edition)

I'm attempting to run BF4 and I'm getting really random frame rates on a per map / area basis.

Upon checking my GPU on afterburner it doesn't really seem to be getting utilized very much or seems to only get to about 70% load.

my framerates range from 30 to 120FPS, usually around 50-70 on high preset.

I've attached a shot of afterburner with what my GPU is doing, could it be a case of CPU bottleneck the GPU, my friend has an i5 2400 with a 560ti 448 and he seems to get better performance than i do which i didn't expect.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Some indications of CPU bottlenecking.
- Running at higher resolutions doesn't affect your frame rate.
- Low GPU usage
- High GPU usage with low on screen action but usage drops when loads of enemy's/physics work loads are being processed on screen.
- Adding a second or third graphics card has provided no change in frame rates
You may like to try this idea for monitoring. Thread goes on forever, only read to page 3, there may be more useful info, if you can keep going.
> http://www.overclock...ith-fps-in-game

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Thank you iammykyl for the fast response, the software you advised me to load does indeed work in games, but doesn't seem to in bf4,(the overlay was not displayed) however i cranked the settings to ultra preset went to the most demanding area that i had issues with and played around with the resolution, and found that changing the resolution did not affect the frame rate, however certain settings including mesh quality and lighting lowered did seem to bump my fps from 35 - 50+ are those settings CPU intensive?

I think what i can take from this is that the answer to my question is YES the i3 3220 is bottlenecking the 7950 but its manageable at the moment with reduced settings.

I think i will look to upgrade my CPU in the new year to say the i7 3770, i5 3470 or Xeon 1230v2 I have an H61 chipset so i do not need an unlocked CPU as i will not be overclocking.

Can you advise which of those 3 is the better choice for gaming, and photo editing.

Thanks again

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I will get back about the bottlenecking.

Can you advise which of those 3 is the better choice for gaming, and photo editing.

'
and answer that if you tell me what kind of software you will use, high end like Adobe? or more mid range?

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hello,
Thank you for the response again.

Ok no problem, if you feel i may have missed something regarding the bottlnecking let me know as saving money would be a better choice!

My photo editing usually consists of importing 100's or RAW files into adobe lightroom, editing them then exporting 100's back out.
It also includes merging multiple 20+mb files to create an HDR effect using photomatix.

I have CS4 but very very rarely use it if I'm honest.

So far the i3 3220 has been fine for all of the above, however it seems to have come unstuck in more modern multi core games, and with the advent of the new consoles i assume all development will start heading towards multicore optimization?

Thanks.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.
I only have general knowledge of photo/video editing, not an expert, so observations are my take on the situation.
I agree that you are CPU bottlenecked.

however certain settings including mesh quality and lighting lowered did seem to bump my fps from 35 - 50+ are those settings CPU intensive?

I would say more GPU, which at the moment is under utilized and by playing with the settings you are improving the output of the GPU giving you better results.

So far the i3 3220 has been fine for all of the above, however it seems to have come unstuck in more modern multi core games, and with the advent of the new consoles i assume all development will start heading towards multicore optimization?

I would't expect a fast implantation, it seems to take PC developers a looong time to catch up with the Console platform.

I think, before making any recommendations for a CPU upgrade, let's see if we can take some of the load of the CPU and depending on the results, Later, give the GPU more work.
Stopping unnecessary start up programs, Have a look at this guide. When msconfig opens, click on the startup tab, (top). Untick obvious programs like Office. Any you are not sure of, leave alone, when finished, restart the computer, > run msconfig again, post a screen shot of the list. Please do not use other items, some can break the system.

Ways to optimize Lightroom, > http://helpx.adobe.c...-lightroom.html
If you use blender at all, this may be useful.
> http://www.blendergu...peed-up-cycles/

Please look at this site, Tell us what you think first, before making adjustment. > http://www.blackviper.com/> click on Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Service Configurations ~ Updated: October 19, 2012

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Thanks again for the fast response.

So ultimately you feel taking some load off the CPU and adding to the GPU will improve my performance in modern games?

I have run the msconfig and disabled some things that I don't always need at start up or that I can load afterwards.

Thank you for the light room optimization tips, I will look into those, however I am currently happy with the performance in lightroom so its not something I will need right away.

my main concern is that Battlefield 4 will be the first of many true next gen games which my system will start to struggle with, I had recently purchased the AMD7950 in anticipation of this, but it never crossed my mind that the CPU would also be a concern.

Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails

• Startup.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

So ultimately you feel taking some load off the CPU and adding to the GPU will improve my performance in modern games?

Yes. The less going on in the background the more CPU resource can be used to feed the GPU.
Can you run msconfig again and adjust the location tab over to the right so I can see the program command name, if the list is to long, scroll up and take another shot. Please include in your next reply.
Next,
Go, > Open Windows Defender by clicking the Start button Posted Image, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Defender.
> Click the Tools button, and then click Software Explorer.
> In the Category box, click Startup Programs.
Please take a screenshot/s and include in your next reply.

If at any time you feel you have done enough or just want to stop, let me know.

Another how to for you to look at, let me know what you think.
> http://www.codeproje...usOptimizeplusa

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi, and thanks again for the fast response.

I am currently back at work away from my PC so unable to get that data until later today (next 6 hours or so)

I will ensure I get the data required for you then.

However I feel that the quickest, easiest answer to this issue is that yes the CPU is a bottleneck and in order to really resolve this issue I will likely need to upgrade within the next few months.

In which case my question sort of falls back to an earlier one.

of those 3 CPU's which would be the most cost effective.

i5 3470 (cheapest & least powerful?)
E3 1230 v2 (dont know much about this other than on paper it seems like a slower i7)
i7 3770 (Fastest most expensive, don't know whether I would see a benefit to this over the I5 or even the E3)

Again, I will get the requested information for you a little later on.

Thanks again

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted Image
Please give the brand/model of your MB.

Advertisements

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi. Sorry,

I Didn't get the chance to get on my computer yesterday.

here is the motherboard however.

http://www.ebuyer.co...d-p8h61-mx-usb3

Thanks in advance!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday,

Your MB, > https://www.asus.com...#specifications
Using this site for a general comparison.
i5 3470VS E3 1230 v2 > E3 would perform better, does support ECC memory, but I don' think the E3 is the better for the Desktop. (read Graphics support) > http://processors.fi...Intel-E3-1230V2
Looked at the sandy bridge, but the memory bandwidth drops.
More, > http://processors.fi...Intel-E3-1230V2
Will look around, see if I can find some decent Benchmark results, mostly seem to be for gaming.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hello again,

Thanks for the response.

I have read through the specifications on various sites ref my motherboard and I do not believe my board will support the E3 Xeon type CPU's. Am I correct to come to this conclusion? - in which case it puts that CPU out of the race.

I think the i7 is probably going to be a slight overkill (not to mention much more costly) on what I want/need which leaves the i5 3470 or the i5 3570 (non K as I will not be OC'ing)

I think it boils down to getting one of those at the correct price if the 3470 comes in much cheaper on the day I will go for that one otherwise I will get the 3570.. do you agree?

This should clear up my bottleneck and also give me slight improvements in day to do processing of images.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

ref my motherboard and I do not believe my board will support the E3 Xeon type CPU's. Am I correct to come to this conclusion?

Don't think so, providing this is your board, bottom of the CPU support list, Intel Xeon E3-1230 (3.2G,1333,L3:8MB,4C,D2) > https://www.asus.com...8H61MX/#support
I think the E3 is out anyway, as i mentioned, very limited Graphics support, > http://processors.fi...Intel-E3-1230V2

I would choose the non K 3570

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Thank you for all the information!

I think what i will do is hold out until Christmas (its an expensive time of the year!)then get the 3570 as suggested non K to save a small amount of money!

Thank you for all your advice, and i hope you have a great Christmas!