Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU bottleneck?

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,759 posts
Your welcome joybz and a happy Christmas to you as well.

Come back and let us know how things go.

Advertisements

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hello 14iammykyl

I would just like to update you on this topic if you recall it?

I found an i5 3470 new on a popular auction site which I purchased for £114 (much less then initially thought i would have to pay)

I did a few benchmark sections in games such as bf4 and I have found my framerate has drastically improved im talking double the framerate in certain situations. It does also seem much more stable with a bottom end fps of closer to 42fps rather than 28fps (this is with a bump up in all the eye candy too bear in mind)

My photo editing processing has also become noticeably quicker too no longer have to hang around quite so long importing/exporting.

I think on the whole in this day an age we really do see a benefit to quad core over dual core including the pretend quad core that the i3's sport.

Thank you so much for all your assistance and hope you have a great Christmas!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,759 posts
Gday. great to hear from you and pleased you workflow has speeded up. Very nice find for the CPU.
If/when you play a game and record, do you record to a separate HDD or the drive you are playing the game from?
Do you use FRAPS for recording?

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hello iammykyl,

I do not record my gaming, I do use FRAPS to overlay the framrates and for the occasional screenshot.

most of my CPU intensive stuff includes the photo editing and processing that I do which has improved by upgrading to the i5 3470.

Although if i were to record videos would it be better to record directly to my 2nd HDD rather than the HDD the game is installed on?

thanks

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,759 posts
Gday . Tanks for the reply joybz.

Although if i were to record videos would it be better to record directly to my 2nd HDD rather than the HDD the game is installed on

Yes. Both done on one drive means while the reads are sent for processing to play the game, recording writes are already coming back to the same drive, so not only does the game slow because some writes are being done, but recording slows because they have to wait for reads to be done. That's only a very simplistic explanation as it is actually much more involved. By using two drives, or more, you split the reads and writes up, increasing performance. The same is true for your editing, providing the software always. Reading from your source files on one drive and exporting the render to a second drive or a RAID 0, will greatly improve performance.

If you want to experiment, so as to limit the chance of messing up you system. If you have a spare HDD, install in the case to use for the recording/exports.
I would use something like http://unigine.com/products/valley/ with basic setting, time recording to the same drive. Time recording to the dedicated drive.