Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Found XLDEF folder under Users Folder - keylogger?

• Please log in to reply

BooBoo2011

BooBoo2011

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I manage a hotel in Los Angeles and recently hired an IT consultant. As he come recommended by an employee, I used him for installing and configuring security cameras.

Towards the end, he was very problematic and I ended up firing him. However, he had used my computer at times to test the internet links to the security cameras.

After he left, I found messages from Winpatrol that certain startup commands had been disabled, including WinPatrol. When I checked, I found a a folder under Users/{My User Account}
named XLDEF.

When I reviewed the folder, I found three VBS scripts, setup.vbs, start.vbs, and another. In addition, there were three DAT files. One had a very complex VB script. The other two files were compiled DAT files. In addition, there were over 580 files with random numbers and random extensions. When I checked some of these files, they contained only 1 entry, usually a character string starting with the leter K and a number after the K.

I have removed the entry in the registry, moved the files and directory off the hard drive, and made a copy. I am suspicious that this is a keylogger but nothing is detecting it. MSE did say it was suspicious and I sent it to them, but who knows how long it will take to find.

For obvious reasons, I have not uploaded it yet and will provide it to the right people for review.

Thanks!!!

Advertisements