Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Not Running at Full Speed

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Can't make the HDD diagnostic tools link work, so you can find them > http://pcsupport.abo...p/tophddiag.htm
I know you did not want to RMA hardware, but how much time have you left if you need to?

Advertisements

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Gday.
Can't make the HDD diagnostic tools link work, so you can find them > http://pcsupport.abo...p/tophddiag.htm
I know you did not want to RMA hardware, but how much time have you left if you need to?

Thanks for the updated link. As for hardware RMA, it depends on which hardware is causing the problem, if any. Motherboard is used. CPU was an open box purchase off Amazon w/30day return (I'm beyond that return window), I bought HDD brand new, so warranty is still in effect.

As for the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool (IPDT), I did go to the link you provided, read all instructions and have been unable to successfully create a bootable USB flash drive with the tool on it. I have posted a pic below of where I got stuck.

Posted Image

For some reason, it's not recognizing my USB flash drive, which is plugged in an ready. I have followed all instructions specifically, so I'm not sure why I've run into this problem. I am trying to create this USB flash drive from a PC that uses Windows XP OS. Not sure if that could be the reason.

Followup: I just realized I've been following the instruction for a Linux Bootable USB and d/l Linux ISO. I should have been doing this for Microsoft Windows versions of IPDT for 32bit and 64bit right? If so, I've d/l the IPDT zip file and The Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool Help Document - R12.pdf, but I'm not seeing any instructions about creating a bootable USB flash drive.

Edited by Webslinger64, 21 November 2013 - 06:46 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I believe it is compatibly with all windows platforms. Try the format again using a differnt USB socket, when complete, (note, do not remove from computer) search for it in windows explorer and confirm it is actually formatted.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Gday.
I believe it is compatibly with all windows platforms. Try the format again using a differnt USB socket, when complete, (note, do not remove from computer) search for it in windows explorer and confirm it is actually formatted.

So you're saying to proceed with the Linux instructions and not Windows 64-bit right? BTW, I can find the USB flash drive in windows explorer now, but for some reason Fedora LiveUSB Creator doesn't recognize it. I will try another USB socket to see if the results are the same and let you know.

Thanks!

Edited by Webslinger64, 21 November 2013 - 10:37 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
What you are actually doing is creating a Linux boot disc integrated on the USB stick, so yes you want the Linux option. This way it will boot off the stick and test outside of your Windows environment (which isn't currently booting).

Check the format of the USB stick. Some tools like this are picky and require it to be formatted as FAT32 and others require NTFS. Try formatting the stick a different way and try again.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks Troy, glad to see you back.
My W7 rig is in bits at the moment so will try creating USB boot disc on this XP machine, but will not be able to test it.

With the USB in place, used XP to Format disc, FAT 32, Quick Format. OK, closed window.
> clicked on the folder I downloaded, LiveUSB/LiveUSB/Fedora15/f15-32bit-1.47.1.0-xfce-ipdt.iso
Fedora Live USB Creator opened with file in lower window, (first image)
Operation completed, (second image)
Unable to test.

Webslinger64

Have you had time to try the HHD test yet?

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Thanks Troy, glad to see you back.
My W7 rig is in bits at the moment so will try creating USB boot disc on this XP machine, but will not be able to test it.

With the USB in place, used XP to Format disc, FAT 32, Quick Format. OK, closed window.
> clicked on the folder I downloaded, LiveUSB/LiveUSB/Fedora15/f15-32bit-1.47.1.0-xfce-ipdt.iso
Fedora Live USB Creator opened with file in lower window, (first image)
Operation completed, (second image)
Unable to test.

Webslinger64

Have you had time to try the HHD test yet?

First, I must apologize for the amount of time that has elapsed since your last post iammykyl. The holidays is a busy time for me at work, but I did find enough time to complete another desktop PC build; one that went fairly smoothly, unlike the one here on this thread.
I was having some issues following through with some of your instructions because I was using a Windows XP PC to do some troubleshooting for a Windows 7 PC; like the Fedora boot flash drive. That PC is history and I am working from a PC with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Maybe that will help some.
Now to bring you up to date on this problematic PC build. It had been a month since I last attended to it. I finally got a little fed up, and rather than follow through on your diagnostic troubleshooting suggestions, I went ahead and formatted the HDD and did a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I hoped that would be the simple solution and fix all my problems. The installation was clean. Downloaded and installed all MB drivers without a hitch. Got about halfway through installing various programs we would use on this PC and called it a night. Decided I would finish up other software installs in the morning. Felt really good about what I had accomplished and how the PC was running that night. Got up next morning and PC was in standby mode (all you do is hit the blinking power button on the case and it would normally start right up). However, that is not what happened. I hit power button, PC started up fine, or so it seemed. After a few seconds, there was a click, then the PC powered down (case fans stopped spinning), then it powered up, then click, it powered down. It repeated this cycle several times. At no point did anything appear on the monitor except a black screen. Needless to say that sucked.
I am prepared to run through the diagnostic process step by step to determine what is wrong. However, I can't help but think the Motherboard has gone bad. Remember, I bought it used! Wish I had not done that in the first place and just bought a new MB.
The HDD seemed to work well when I did the new install. However, on boot up, the monitor would still flash this message:

Posted Image

Based on that message, my gut feeling is that the HDD is fine, the CPU is fine, but it's the MB having some sort of compatibility issue. I have updated the BIOS on the MB, reset MB to defaults using the jumper and battery technique, and problems remain. Would you agree that the MB is the issue, or do you feel I should still diagnose each component? I am ready to tackle this until fixed. I am also ready to buy a new MB if we feel that is the culprit.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Strange it would run for so long then post the porblem.
A refresh please,
What CPU installed?
What heatsink and fan?
What case?
Is the fan connected to the CPU fan header, not a system fan one?
Was the old TIM removed and new applied?

Remove the 2 pin plugs from the front panel connects and use a small bladed screw driver to short out the pw/on switch, do you still get the warning message?

Going out for a few hours, will check back later.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Strange it would run for so long then post the porblem.
A refresh please,
What CPU installed?
What heatsink and fan?
What case?
Is the fan connected to the CPU fan header, not a system fan one?
Was the old TIM removed and new applied?

Remove the 2 pin plugs from the front panel connects and use a small bladed screw driver to short out the pw/on switch, do you still get the warning message?

Going out for a few hours, will check back later.

Thanks for the reply!

CPU = Intel i5-2500
Heatsink/Fan = Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Case = NZXT source 210 elite black
Double checked the CPU fan connection, it is connected to the processor fan header on the MB. All case fans are either connected to chassis fan headers on the MB (3 of them) or directly connected to PSU (2 of them). The old TIM was removed and new TIM applied. In fact, I removed and reapplied several times because of the heat issues I was having with the CPU. If you remember, BIOS was initially showing a temp of 65°C with the stock fan at idle. After I bought and installed the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, CPU temps went down to 45°C, better but still higher than it should be. Funny thing though, I installed and ran Speccy after I got the PC up and running the other night. Speccy showed the CPU temp as 27°C. That was unexpected. Not sure whether to believe BIOS or Speccy.
As for the instructions you provided to short out the pw/on switch, that concerns me a bit. That's something I've never done and I don't want to cause any more harm to the PC. I've removed the 2 pin plugs from the front panel connects, but I'm not sure how to short out the pw/on switch with a screw driver.

BTW, I just realized something here that may be the cause of the whole problem in the first place. The PC issues began when I tried to OC the CPU in BIOS. I fooled with the settings and suddenly the PC started doing what it did two nights ago; repeatedly shutting down and restarting with an audible click. The CPU I ordered from Amazon was an i5-2500K, however a couple weeks after the problems began, I was in the BIOS again and noticed the BIOS indicated that the CPU installed was an i5-2500, there was no K shown. So, though I ordered an i5-2500k and paid for it, I was sent an i5-2500 and didn't realize it till well after the fact. I've actually been in touch with the seller, an Amazon reseller, and he agreed to a partial refund because of the error on their end. So, with that said, I'm thinking this whole issue may have been caused by trying to OC a CPU that was not unlocked. Thoughts?

Edited by Webslinger64, 20 December 2013 - 05:55 PM.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
If the CPU wasn't unlocked that option would be grayed out in the BIOS but you may be right, it should show the K after it.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

As for the instructions you provided to short out the pw/on switch, that concerns me a bit. That's something I've never done and I don't want to cause any more harm to the PC. I've removed the 2 pin plugs from the front panel connects, but I'm not sure how to short out the pw/on switch with a screw driver.

It is a safe procedure, will not harm you or the PC. but., looking at your MB again, I see it has a power on button and a reset button (MB manual @ X and W so no need to short out any pins. I wanted to make sure the case buttons were not causing the issue. Please leave them disconnected until we get the system going.
It appears your MB has had some issues with the warning displayed and has mostly been flaky BIOS revision updates, so this may be the problem.
Please start the computer, > press F2 to enter the BIOS.
At the top of the main page, note the full string for the BIOS
> Press F9.
> Press F10 to save and exit.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Gday.

It is a safe procedure, will not harm you or the PC. but., looking at your MB again, I see it has a power on button and a reset button (MB manual @ X and W so no need to short out any pins. I wanted to make sure the case buttons were not causing the issue. Please leave them disconnected until we get the system going.
It appears your MB has had some issues with the warning displayed and has mostly been flaky BIOS revision updates, so this may be the problem.
Please start the computer, > press F2 to enter the BIOS.
At the top of the main page, note the full string for the BIOS
> Press F9.
> Press F10 to save and exit.

OK, so I watched a youtube video on how to short out the pw/on switch and did IT successfully. I just keep learning and learning....
Full BIOS string is: BCZ6810H.86A.0039.2012.1018.1115
btw, Troy from GTG Tech Staff had me update the BIOS to the latest version already. Not sure if that's what you were checking for or not.

Edited by Webslinger64, 21 December 2013 - 10:38 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.
It does look as though you have the most current BIOS update. For what I have been reading, Intel has still not been able to fix the issue you are having, > https://communities..../message/190426 and many more like it.
If you computer will stay on in Safe Mode with Networking? start IE browser and go to > http://www.intel.com...ect/dsktpboards and see if any updates help.

The issue with wrong CPU detection. If you still have the Box, or next time you remove the heat sink, > http://article.pchom...nt-1464251.html

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Thanks for the update.
It does look as though you have the most current BIOS update. For what I have been reading, Intel has still not been able to fix the issue you are having, > https://communities..../message/190426 and many more like it.
If you computer will stay on in Safe Mode with Networking? start IE browser and go to > http://www.intel.com...ect/dsktpboards and see if any updates help.

The issue with wrong CPU detection. If you still have the Box, or next time you remove the heat sink, > http://article.pchom...nt-1464251.html

Thank you for all the legwork you've done iammykyl. I would've never found all this out if not for you. As for understanding all of it, well that's another thing. After reading through your links and other information I have found about this Motherboard, I think I'm done with it. Too many problems and poor planning on Intel's part have made for some very unhappy customers. I'm tired of the issues I've had with it and am ready to move onto something better.
The only question I have now is this...is there anyway to check my CPU to make sure it is in good working order and undamaged? I am ready to purchase another MB, but don't want to buy a compatible MB for the i5-2500 if there's a problem with the CPU.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update, think you are right to look for another MB, but don't ditch the problem one, there could very well be some kind of fix for it inthe near future.

is there anyway to check my CPU to make sure it is in good working order and undamaged? I am ready to purchase another MB, but don't want to buy a compatible MB for the i5-2500 if there's a problem with the CPU.

I was looking for a Linux distro, and create a live CD then use diagnostic tools to test the CPU but think I have found an easer way. This UBCD contains heaps of tools and can be run from a bootable CD or USB stick. You can see what is on the disc and some info. Do not downloadfrom this site. > http://www.ultimateb....com/index.html

Go to this site to download, save to desktop then burn a bootable DVD. > http://www.majorgeek..._cd_(ubcd).html