Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fans turn off and on when I try to power on

• Please log in to reply

Nodrokov

Nodrokov

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just built a computer using an MSI z87-g45 motherboard, which we got for a cheap price because someone returned it, an intel 15-4670k processor, an asus geforce gtx 650 GPU, a corsair ax860 power supply, 8 gigabytes of corsair xms3 RAM, 500 gigabyte mainstream classique WD hard drive, 2 80 mm cfs-80-sb polar typhoon series case fans, and an acer 21.5 inch monitor. It is worth mentioning that this is my first time building a computer.

I powered it up and everything worked, but instead of seeing BIOS, I saw a menu with my motherboard's logo on it. I looked at some of the settings, but as I couldn't understand what most of them meant, I immediately installed windows 8.1, not wanting to screw anything up. Windows installed normally and I was able to see my desktop. I had to go somewhere else for an hour, so I turned off my computer and came back to it in an hour. Then, when I tried to turn it on, all the fans would turn on, but my monitor said "no signal." I tried replacing the CMOS battery, but it still didn't work. I took out the RAM, and blew gently on it and it turned on.

I installed the drivers from the disk that came with my motherboard, in hopes of there being a network driver (which there wasn't). This required me to restart my computer several times, each time it restarted succesfully. A bit later, when I tried to turn it on, I had the same problem where the fans would turn on, but the monitor would read "no signal." I tried the same things I had before (I didn't buy a new CMOS battery though, I just took it out and put it back in) but it didn't work.

Then, what started happening was that whenever I tried to turn it on, the fans would start running, and stop, then start again, then stop. On and on and on until I switched off the power at the power supply. It still does that when I try to turn it on now, approximately 12 hours after I first had the problem with the fans. Any ideas what's wrong?

Edited by Nodrokov, 03 November 2013 - 11:12 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
:welcome: Nodrokov

I just built a computer using an MSI z87-g45 motherboard, which we got for a cheap price because someone returned it,

Hmm I wonder why it was returned :(

A couple of suggestions would be to first remove the add on video card and use the onboard video to see if the behavior changes, if not remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.

Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason.

Nodrokov

Nodrokov

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

:welcome: Nodrokov

Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason.

I didn't use standoffs because my case had standoffs already in all the screwholes that I needed, and if I put standoffs in those than my motherboard was too high to fit in the i/o shield, but thanks for the tips, I'll try them and see if it works.

Nodrokov

Nodrokov

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

A couple of suggestions would be to first remove the add on video card and use the onboard video to see if the behavior changes, if not remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.

I removed the video card and when I tried to boot it up, I had the same problem. Before I tried your suggestion about the barebones setup, I removed one of the RAM sticks. Then when I tried to power it up, the fans worked normally but my monitor read "no signal." Then I replaced the RAM stick I had removed and removed the other one. When I tried to turn it on this time, I reached the BIOS screen with my motherboard's logo on it. I then turned off my computer and added the other stick of RAM. Then when I tried to turn it on, I also got to the BIOS screen with my motherboard's logo on it. After checking that my computer recognized that everything was plugged in, I turned off my computer and plugged in my video card. This time when I turned on my computer, I again got "no signal" on my monitor. However, I turned off my computer, and unplugged the video cable from my motherboard and plugged it in to the port on my graphics card. This time, it turned on succesfully and booted up to windows. Thanks for your help, do you think I need to do anything to make sure that this doesn't happen again?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hello Nodrokov

Apologies for the delay been very busy with work :(

Glad to hear that you have made progress and well done for that and your own troubleshooting :thumbsup:

There is not a great deal that you can do when you have this type of temporary glitch other than make a note of what you did to resolve the problem/s in this instance.

I turned off my computer and plugged in my video card. This time when I turned on my computer, I again got "no signal" on my monitor. However, I turned off my computer, and unplugged the video cable from my motherboard and plugged it in to the port on my graphics card. This time, it turned on succesfully and booted up to windows

Just a heads up for you, unless the feature has been turned off in the BIOS when an add on video card is detected the MBs integrated video chip is disabled and that is why you got no video.

Nodrokov

Nodrokov

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Just a heads up for you, unless the feature has been turned off in the BIOS when an add on video card is detected the MBs integrated video chip is disabled and that is why you got no video.

Thanks so much for the help. Would it be worthwile to change that setting in BIOS? Or does it not really matter.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
There is no benefit to disabling the MBs add on video card auto-detect where the average user is concerned as you would need to enable the add on video card again before you could use it.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup: