Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

confused...no internet on only my computers

• Please log in to reply

islandcat

islandcat

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Just moved and set up internet and wireless modem. This is day 5 and 4 on line techs later still no internet. Tech just came and brought another modem and his lap top worked. Neither my desk top nor my lap top work. Laptop shows connected to net but won't. Go past page cannot be displayed. Desktop brings up diagnose connection problems. When trh that it says something about firewalls and contact service provider. I don't get it, I literally unplugged from old place and got new account and plugged in here. When I read the diagnostics it says network status connected. Further down could not make https connection or ftp. I can understand the desk top not working but laptop too??? Anyone have an idea??? Thanks for reading this. Using phone so can't send anything. Lynda

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
You don't say what version of Windows you have but I assume it's XP since that's the forum you posted in.
Do this on the desktop which I presume is connected with a cable to the modem. If they are both wireless then it doesn't matter which you use.

Start, Run, cmd , OK or Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt (if Vista or Windows 7 right click and Run As Admin). Either way you should get a black Command window. Type with an Enter after each line:

ipconfig  /all

(Does it show an IP address? Default Gateway? DNS server? What are they?)

ping  8.8.8.8

(Do you get any replies?)

net  start  dhcp

(It should say The requested service has already been started. Does it?)

nslookup geekstogo.com

(It should say:

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: geekstogo.com
Addresses: 173.245.60.28
Does it? )

What version of windows do you have on each PC? What anti-virus? Is there a third party firewall like Zone Alarm, Comodo, Online Armor?

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Wow you are fast. Thanks. Apologies for typos, using phone. So hope this makes sense. Ip configuration, enabled no. Wins proxy enabled. No. Yes ip address 192.168.1.66. Yes default gateway. 192.168.1.254. Yes dns server 192.168.1.254 and 75.153.176.9. Ping...packets sent ~4 received ~0 lost ~4 100% loss. Net start dhcp correct. Yes already bee started. More help avail. By typing NET HELPMSG 2182. Non authorative answer~no does not say what you wrote I have windows 7 on desktop and windows 8 laptop. Sorry hope you can read this.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
What anti-virus? Is there a third party firewall like Zone Alarm, Comodo, Online Armor?

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I have avast on both computers. I typed in firewall in search on desktop and got the following. Firewall ~windows system32. Firewall~windows servicepack. MccFirewall~telus\OCB. Conf~firewalvar0jsdata~trusteer. McciscriptBaseFirewall~telus. Two more of these and the final one is voicefirewallmsg~windows. All these are old except for conf~firewall sept of this year. Does any of this help? Laptop is new so seems to have none of this.

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Am I the only person dumb things happen to? Geez. My cell phone connects to my wireless. It just doesn't make sense to me why my new laptop and older desk top cannot get on the internet. I am at the point of calling telus and cancelling and trying to find a new provider. I am sitting here paying for this. Webpage for google says not available, will not reload. Yahoo doesn't work on the other. Can both computers crash at the same time? I doubt it. Don't know what to do. Sorry just m.oved no tv and was relying on computers. 5 days of no computer?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Unless its the paid version of Avast it doesn't have a firewall. If it is the paid version then try uninstalling Avast.

If you open a browser and put in

Does it connect to your modem/router?

Open a Command Prompt as before and type:

tracert  -d  8.8.8.8

(Normally you get a response like:

Tracing route to 8.8.8.8 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.11.1
2 16 ms 15 ms 16 ms 174.125.126.1
3 15 ms 15 ms 14 ms 208.110.248.149
4 15 ms 14 ms 14 ms 206.51.71.70
5 15 ms 14 ms 14 ms 209.85.249.34
6 17 ms 61 ms 88 ms 66.249.94.201
7 71 ms 69 ms 69 ms 216.239.46.158
8 70 ms 69 ms 69 ms 216.239.46.55
9 69 ms 70 ms 70 ms 216.239.46.191
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 68 ms 69 ms 69 ms 8.8.8.8

Trace complete.

If all you get are *'s like on line 10 then it failed. If you get something other than stars then tell me what line fails.)

I'm going to be away from my PC for a few hours so here are a few other things to try:

In IE, Files, uncheck Work Offline. Restart IE and test. If still no good:

In IE, Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, then uncheck all boxes and OK. Close IE and restart IE.

In FireFox, (Tools or the Firefox button), Options, Advanced, Settings, check No Proxy then OK. Close Firefox and restart Firefox.

In Chrome, Wrench, Options, Under the Hood, Change Proxy Settings, uncheck all boxes, OK.

Restart and test. If still no good:

Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt. Type with an Enter after each line in the code box:

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh  winsock  reset catalog

netsh int ipv4 reset %userprofile%\Desktop\reset4.log 
netsh int ipv6 reset %userprofile%\Desktop\reset6.log 

NetSH WinHTTP reset proxy

(I use two spaces in the code box so you will be sure to see where 1 space goes.)

Reboot and test. If it still doesn't work:

1. Click "Start," click "Control Panel," click "Network and Internet Connections," and then click "Network Connections."
2. Right-click the network connection that you want to configure (the one you use to connect to the Internet), and then click Properties.
3. On the General tab (for a local area connection), or the Networking tab (for all other connections), click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and then click "Properties."

4. Click "Use the following DNS server addresses," and then type 8.8.8.8 in the Preferred DNS server and 4.2.2.1 in the Alternate DNS server boxes.

5. Click "OK"

Reboot and test. If it still doesn't work:

(Start) Right click on My Computer, select Manage then Device Manager. Find the Network Adapters and click on the + in front to open up the sub entries. Right click on each sun-entry under Network Adapters and Uninstall. (Doesn't hurt to write down the names in case you need to download the drivers from the PC Maker's website. Normally you don't but with malware you never know.) Reboot and test. If it still doesn't work:

Reboot and when you see the maker's logo, hear a beep or it talks about F8, start tapping the F8 key slowly. Keep tapping until the Safe Mode Menu appears and choose Safe Mode with Networking. Login with your usual login.

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I followed every step all the way. No change. I can get home page up and read.articles on it but that's as far as I go. Desktop says internet explorer cannot display webpage. That's yahoo. Laptop uses google and that one tells.me web page.not available. Thinking about loading all up and driving over it all with my car.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
You might take the laptop over to McDonald's or some other place with free wireless and see if it works there.

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Thank you so much for your time. Called service provider and lost it.on them. Well can you believe it they did some tecy stuff on their end and its working. For now. Thanks again for your support.