Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System RAM and Networking

• Please log in to reply

pjsuther

pjsuther

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Couple of years ago I saw a reference that Netgear routers and USB adapters (N150 to be specific) couldn't be used on a PC that had 8GB or more of RAM. Just checking to see if that is indeed true, as I need to upgrade to 8GB from 4GB for new software.

If it is true, what is the workaround or solution? The 8GB is non-negotiable, but the adapter & router are not.

Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello pjsuther

Never heard of this type of conflict can you recall where you read the information.

pjsuther

pjsuther

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
As I recall, it was on a Netgear forum about 2 years ago. The posting started out something like "I know that I can't use the (router/adapter) with 8GB RAM, but...", and then the forum answered the question w/out refering to the 8GB 'limit' again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
DoesThis topic look familiar
If yes then you will note that the reply #2 from the tech JREwing78 says "There is no reason whatsoever that merely adding RAM memory would affect your wi-fi connection. Something else had to change there."

pjsuther

pjsuther

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Glad to hear that - that was exactly my concern. I couldn't understand either why it was "common knowledge" that upgrading RAM would impact WiFi.

Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are most welcome pjsuther :thumbsup:

Good luck with the upgrade.