Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time GAMING PC BUILD(NEED HELP/SUGGESTIONS)

• Please log in to reply

GZA

GZA

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, i am a first timer when it comes to building a computer. As far as my background in computers go i really have none aside from knowing the basic hard ware components.
I am set on building a PC utilized for gaming (recording/streaming) .
The build will include Monitor, Motherboard, power supply, case, CPU, GPU, RAM (8gb), Optical drive, Hard Drive, Mouse, and Keyboard. (Let me know if i missed anything.)

These are a few items i have picked out for the build with my limited knowledge. Suggestions as well as reasoning behind your suggestion is much appreciated. (THESE ARE ALL OPEN FOR CHANGE)

Monitor: Acer G276HL 27" Class LED Widescreen Monitor - 1920 x 1080, 3000:1, 6 ms, VGA / DVI (UM.HG6AA.D03)

Motherboard: Asus Z87M-Plus Motherboard - MicroATX, LGA1150, Intel Z87 Express Chipset, 2800 MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA III (6Gb/s), 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, Quad-GPU CrossFireX Ready (Z87M-PLUS)

PSU: Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Sleeved Cables, Matte Finish, 3-Year Warranty

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 Red Edition - Mid Tower Computer Case with Windowed Side Panel and All-Black Interior

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K

GPU: EVGA 02G-P4-2763-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R

Optical drive: Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

Hard Drive: WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX

Mouse: Logitech G9X Gaming Mouse Call of Duty: MW3 Edition (910-002764)

Keyboard: Logitech Gaming Keyboard G105 Call of Duty: MW3 Edition (920-003652)

As i stated previously i am open to change most of these components.

My questions include :

Will there be any compatibility problems with these parts?

Are there better parts for the same price?

Would this machine be able to play new gen games on very high settings?

I will accept all criticisms openly i am not a genius on this subject!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday GZA, Posted Image.
Pretty good build but, before making any suggestions or tweaking the configuration, please answer all the questions so we may be more able to help.

What software will you be using for the video recording (Fraps? or other?) Will you be converting rendering using Adobe Elements? maybe using it in the near future. or other?
Do you have an OS to use, if yes, what kind. Full Retail, OEM, burned ISO, copy.
In what courtly will you be purchasing the parts, if the USA, please give your ZIP code, will tell us if you are close to stores with special pick up only deals.
What is your budget?
Do you have a monitor that you can make do with, for , say six months?
This is your current parts list, set to the US, OS not included, > http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Y7Nn
NB, A little suspicious of the keyboard price, seems very cheap.

GZA

GZA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My i start by giving you my thanks for replying so soon and appearing to have an interest in the success of my build.

Here are some answers to your questions.

As far as recording goes i have an Elgato HD capture card.

When it comes to an OS i plan on windows 7. I am clueless when it comes to what kind of os due to my lack in computer knowledge.

I will be purchasing the parts to be shipped to the united states i live in Allison Park 15101.

Id really like to keep the build around 1000-1200 dollars a little over or under won't harm anything.

I do not have a computer monitor. Only other means of accessing the internet are my Mac book and iPhone.

The board and mouse are so cheap because of the call of duty logo on them, its an older CoD game.

Again i cannot thank you enough for your help!

GZA

GZA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i seemed to miss the question regarding the adobe elements. i am unfamiliar with the program but i intend on editing/uploading from my macbook once the gaming pc is made

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome, Posted Image
Is this your capture card,? > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815131019
Your 300 miles away from deals at Macro store, > https://maps.google....avids,+PA+19087

i seemed to miss the question regarding the adobe elements. i am unfamiliar with the program but i intend on editing/uploading from my macbook once the gaming pc is made

The Adobe software is quite high end/pro software and from your replies, I do not think you will have any need to use it at this stage, consequently you will not need an i7 CPU, a i5 will be the sweet spot, playing games on very high setting, capture and edit using the included Elgato software and more advance like Vegas Pro.
Elgato web page, > http://www.elgato.com/support Has been updated.

CPU bench, > http://www.anandtech...duct/701?vs=837
For recording/capture video you need to have a dedicated drive (HDD1 OS, HDD2 recording,) otherwise it will adversely effect fps in your actual game play and cause lag in the recording.
Upgraded the PSU, changed the case, Changed the MB. Downsize monitor to get better display.
A build for you to consider.> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1YGTI Has been updated.

GZA

GZA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I must say you are one kinda person. I yet again must thank you for your time.

I really like what you told me about the cpu i knew the i7 was over kill but really i needed someone with background to tell me before i would believe it. In turn i will be switching to the i5.

What is having a dedicated drive? Perhaps having a hard drive specifically for the recorded footage?

May i ask why you suggest a change in mother board and case?

Also i had chose the 27' screen because it was $199 and the monitor you are showing me is $179 for 24' would you explain your reasoning there as well?

Sorry for so many questions, i appreciate your help very much.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry for so many questions,

Apologies not necessary, that's what we are her for, anything not clear, please do ask.

What is having a dedicated drive? Perhaps having a hard drive specifically for the recorded footage?

A HDD cannot read and write at the same time, instructions are queued. If you have a dedicated reordering drive, it does not have to wait for the OS drive to complete it's own operations.

May i ask why you suggest a change in mother board and case?

Your case did not have front USB 3.0 and only one pre installed fan, front. The GT 700 comes with 2 top fans, 1 rear fan, USB 2.0 and 3.0, fan controllerr, has more options to add additional fans. > http://www.antec.com...=5022074&lan=us
Your MB, is uATX, very small and crowded, the Asrock has many more features including Lan Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200 Series. Audio - Purity Sound. HDMI-In. 3 months trail oo xSplit streaming software..
> http://www.newegg.co...157-372:$$$$$$$

Also i had chose the 27' screen because it was $199 and the monitor you are showing me is $179 for 24' would you explain your reasoning there as well?

As well as the tech, a little personnelpreferences have crept in here. before actually deciding on a screen, it would be better if you could go to a shop and look to make some comparisons.
When sat with mouse/keyboard being used, the screen should be about 2.6" to 3 foot away from your eyes for comfortable viewing without causing eye strain.
The Pixel pitch on the Asus is better. > http://www.ehow.com/...-pitch-dpi.html
The DPI is the same on both screens but spread over a larger area on the Acer, so the image will be less sharp.
The Acer does not have HDMI input and this may be essential/important for connection with the Elgato???? streaming HD?
NB. I say that the G9x mouse was $75, bit pricy, also a 9 button, that's an awful lot of button to manage, what do you think?

GZA

GZA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
As always thank you friend!

Is setting up a dedicated drive hard? What is required to do so?

I researched the Case and mother board you had sent me and i love them both.

I also liked what you had to say about the Acer vs asus monitors, i believe you are right about the lack of hdmi input in the acer and that could cause a problem.

My reasoning behind the mouse was that i had used it before and loved it.

To sum up… I will def be switching to the Antec case, the i5 processor, the asrock mother board, and finally the Asus monitor.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

Is setting up a dedicated drive hard? What is required to do so?

No, Install the HDD, then using disk management in windows, initialize, format, then from the Elgato settings, specify the HDD that is to be used for recording.
Updated the list, added a SATA cable, you need 3 and there is only 2 included with the MB.
Added a intarnal mini system speaker, this is controlled by the BIOS and gives beep codes if there is a problem when booting the computer,
NB. I would search more for the keyboard and mouse as I think you can do better than the listed prices.

> Updated, > http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Zq7T

howtheflip

howtheflip

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I know it's late, but I just have to post this in case anyone walks by conveniently.

http://pcpartpicker....ntec-case-gx700

That computer case, recommended in the other thread, is on sale, after rebate without s/h for 20 bucks. That's practically a steal. I just purchased one and it came to <$61, and I'll get the $30 mail in rebate, so that's 30 dollars for a well praised case.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Thanks for posting the link, many sites seem to like to do specials on that case, Newegg had it a couple of months ago for $24.

How are you going with the build? Got all your parts? Did you download your manuals?