Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow HP G42 notebook

• Please log in to reply

SilentSeraph

SilentSeraph

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
HP-G42 notebook
Core i3 CPU M370 @ 2.40 GHz
Hewlett Packard 1425 mobo
4 GB ram
Windows 7 64 bit SP1
203 GB free space, 73 GB used

Hello,

I've had the HP G42 laptop for about a year and am now experiencing slow load times (boot, shutdown, opening files). I've used compressed air on the vents and a bit of dust came out. Temperatures dropped a bit, but still slow. I did a hardware test and they (memory, hard disk, startup, run-in) all passed. I did a virus and malware check with AVG and Anti-Malwarebytes but the scans were clean. However, when I did a scan with Auslogics Boostspeed it reported that I had 17 system registry issues and 7 Windows Speed Issues. Auslogics scans for issues but you need to buy the service to repair issues. I'm hoping you can help me clean and fix my system.

Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

when I did a scan with Auslogics Boostspeed it reported that I had 17 system registry issues and 7 Windows Speed Issues. Auslogics scans for issues but you need to buy the service to repair issues.

Forget this as it is a marketing ploy to get you to purchase their other products. Let's do some basic cleanup and see if that helps.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Click the Options at the top of the Window. In the new little window click the box that states Hide Microsoft Services
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save the file as AutoRuns.txt file instead of the default .arn to a known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.
8: DO NOT do anything till we have had a chance to study the log and reply with suggestions as to what to remove.

SilentSeraph

SilentSeraph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello,

Attached is the Autoruns.txt file.

Thanks

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I noticed one of the OS core files is not loading and that we will address with a SFC after completing the below steps. Let me know how the system is running after completing the below steps please.

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe ARM"
+ "QuickTime Task"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

SilentSeraph

SilentSeraph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
It seems slightly quicker and smoother opening files and web browsing. POST and shutdown speeds still seem the same.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK now I need you to do the following.

SFC /Scannow Win7

Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

SilentSeraph

SilentSeraph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I did the SFC and it said "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK how is the system running now?

SilentSeraph

SilentSeraph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
It runs well. I think I just got used to using my friend's built computer that has an SSD which starts up way more quicker that made me think that my notebook starts up and shuts down too slowly. After the defrag the notebook run more smoothly. Just cleaning it up made a difference. I think for an i3 it runs well. So does that mean that supposed OS core file is loading?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As far as I can tell everything is working correctly at this point.
The SSD drives are much faster and can make a big difference in speed with the system boot and workings for sure.
I'm guessing your laptop has a 320 gig HD in it?

SilentSeraph

SilentSeraph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yes 320 gb. I believe the system cleanup and defragmenting did a great job. Thank you for your help sir. I greatly appreciate it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and I am very happy to say Congratulations SilentSeraph. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible