Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple STOP errors and freezing

• Please log in to reply

Draye

Draye

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have been getting multiple STOP errors and random freezing for the past few months. It is very irritating as I am having trouble pinpointing the exact cause.
I have updated all the drivers to their latest release, am clean of all malware, and even had my memory sticks RMA'd (warranty) as I had thought it was a bad memory issue. However, the issue still persists. The only thing I have not done is ask for help, or wipe my hdd.
Another thing is that it wont only crash during gaming or anything intensive, but it does much more often when I am. So much so that I can't even play games or anything other than internet, music, and videos, yet it will still freeze and/or crash randomly then.
I also manually set my RAM voltage to 1.25v, and still no changes.

The major errors are:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x000000d1 aswTdi.sys

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT 0x0000004e ntoskrnl.exe

ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY 0x000000fc Ntfs.sys

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT 0x0000004e ntoskrnl.exe

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x000000d1 tcpip.sys

If you could please tell me how you would like the dump files compressed and uploaded, I will as soon as I can.
I am using BlueScreenView, but I still can't find out what is exactly causing the issue.
Thanks.

Quick specs
Spoiler

Edited by Draye, 06 November 2013 - 01:58 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First step is that your Avast AV is having a problem. That is the first error you posted with the aswTdi.sys described. Have you tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling?

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I'll try doing that, and edit this post later. In the meantime, do you have any other solutions? I may take a while.
I haven't tried reinstalling as I didn't think that was the root of the problem. It had always worked fine and I kept it updated.

Edited by Draye, 06 November 2013 - 02:09 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well can you get me the following and I will see what other info I can get from them.

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sorry I didn't get to reply sooner, as I was typing, it froze again and then I went out.
I removed avast anyway to be sure and it did nothing to mitigate the problem. I think it may be a hardware problem, possibly graphics card or motherboard, but the STOP errors tell me differently, from what I know at least.
The PC will sometimes freeze at any point during boot, even on the motherboard startup.

Unfortunately right before you posted, I had used ccleaner and I did not realize it deletes dump files (makes sense now). So far I haven't had any blue screens, just crashes, but I will post them asap. In the meantime I will try to cause some (games, etc).

I also forgot to mention that sometimes the screen will not show any image at all and then be pink and black then black and blue when trying to show an image (usually at windows logon). The other day I heard a short beep, and a long continous (i think) beep though I could not find any the description for it. I'll look again though. It's an asus m4a87td evo motheboard. It has only happened once I think.

I found this though http://pcsupport.abo...-beep-codes.htm
Spoiler

The RAM is brand new so I don't think that's the problem, but at this point Ill just run memtest. I also don't remember the bios type offhand, I'll edit soon.

Edited by Draye, 07 November 2013 - 09:07 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did the beeps happen before or after the ram replacement?
Is the ram compatible with the motherboard?

Your other errors show this:

0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

The other error which has the bug check of FC is also a known issue and below I found the two ways to resolve it.

Method 1: Disable the incompatible driver
If you can identify the incompatible driver, you can disable the driver in Device Manager. To do this, follow these steps:

Note If you disable or remove a driver, unknown consequences may occur on your computer. We recommend that you contact the vendor of the incompatible driver for an updated version of the driver.

Restart your computer.
During the restart process, press F8.

Note On a computer that is configured to start multiple operating systems, press F8 when the Startup menu appears.
Use the arrow keys to select a Safe Mode option, and then press ENTER.
Click Start, click Run, type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
Locate the incompatible driver or device in Device Manager.
Right-click the incompatible driver or device, and then click Disable.

Notes
If Disable is not available, click Uninstall.
If the incompatible driver or device is not a Plug-and-Play driver, click Properties. On the Driver tab, click Disabled for the Startup Type, and then click OK.
Restart your computer.

Method 2: Turn off the DEP feature in Windows XP SP2
If you need the functionality of the incompatible driver, you can turn off the DEP feature. To do this, follow these steps:

Restart your computer.
During the restart process, press F8.

Note On a computer that is configured to start multiple operating systems, press F8 when the Startup menu appears.
Use the arrow keys to select a Safe Mode option, and then press ENTER.
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
bootcfg /raw “/noexecute=alwaysoff /fastdetect” /id 1
Note If you have multiple start entries or start options, you may have to manually modify the Boot.ini file for your computer. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
In the Startup and Recovery dialog box, click Edit.
Change the /noexecute option to the following:
/noexecute=alwaysoff
On the File menu, click Save, and then click Exit.
Click OK two times.
Restart your computer.

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
The beeps occurred after RAM placement, but only after I had them RMA (possibly before too, but only after the errors started happening).
And yes, I forgot to mention that this specific set of memory does not appear on the motherboard QVL list (in the hard copy manual or the downloadable version), but I had assumed that it was just older than the memory modules. Older models appear on the list, up to 6gb for g.skill 1600. Download it for yourself, if you'd like. The package does say that it is compatible with AMD AM3+/APU platforms, and I have an AM3 cpu/mobo.
I know that am3+ boards support am3 processors, but im not sure about ram. I had bought it a year ago, on a sale, for half the price it is now. I had completely forgotten to check the QVL list, but I knew the specs looked good, and it had worked fine at first.

Here is the exact set of RAM I have:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231461
Mobo:
http://support.asus....ATvwCy0OZLGNWwp
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131647
CPU:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103674

Edited by Draye, 07 November 2013 - 10:04 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I need to make sure the ram is good so I am going to ask that you do the following for me please.

A If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
The computer ran more stable on one module so that's what I already had installed. The program then ran 7 passes, with 0 errors.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
7 passes on the one module that has been running good?
Have you tested the other module?

Advertisements

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I meant to do that before I left, but I didn't. And no, even with that same module the pc freezes or crashes.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So do you have more then one module as I'm confused.

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Sorry, I have two sticks, that exact item I posted the link to. Each 4GB. I only ran one of them through memtest, and it came back no errors but the pc still freezes, or doesn't start. Another thing that happens is the DRAM_LED light will blink and try to restart the boot up, each time unsuccessfully. I have to shut it off then attempt to start it, hoping it works.
I will post a STOP error as soon as I can. So far it's just been freezing or randomly restarting.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK have you tried taking that module out and trying the other module?

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Yes, the same happens, I just haven't ran memtest. When both are installed, the system seems to be less stable.