Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple STOP errors and freezing

• Please log in to reply

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
No, it has worked fine since I've had it years ago.

Edited by Draye, 20 November 2013 - 06:03 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so either a driver has failed or a faulty update or a hardware issue.
The memory checks out as far as manual but can you please run the memtest86 on both modules to see if it detects any issues with the memory.

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for helping me, I have learned a lot from this experience, but I might just nuke it and see what happens. I remember from the last time I had reinstalled windows I had the same partition setup I have now, and the data partition was saved. I did not use dban, I just use the install cd. Is that okay to do?

Edited by Draye, 20 November 2013 - 09:58 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes as long as you are careful to only format the C partition that your OS is on. You will have to do all the Microsoft updates along with all the driver updates so just be ready to spend a few hours getting everything up to date before you start installing any programs again.
Please let me know what happens if you do decide to go that route.

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
OK, so I finished reinstalling last night, and I fell asleep afterwards with the computer left on. I forgot to move the LAN driver to the other partition so I had to burn a copy from another computer. So far everything is working well, I am in the process of reinstalling all the drivers now.
By the way would you recommend any driver updating programs, such as drivermax, or maybe razor game booster (I think it has that feature)?

Edited by Draye, 21 November 2013 - 12:22 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
My preference is DriverMax. I have been using it for a couple of years now and have had no problems with it.

Download DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated. I have been using it for about 4 months now and like it better then any other utility out there for keeping my drivers up to date.
If you want you can post screenshots of all the drivers in the list that need to be updated and I will suggest in what order to get them.

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I'll be fine, it's too much right now to upload all the shots lol. If you could at least give me a general order I'd be better off.
Anyway, thanks again for all the help and time you've given. I appreciate it and I have learned a lot, take care.
Also, sadly drivermax now only allows one per day :(

Edited by Draye, 21 November 2013 - 04:33 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The first driver should always be the smbus because it is the main motherboard driver which helps to identify all the other chipsets on the motherboard correctly.

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ok so I have had one blue screen that went to 95, and one or two freezes. Then the computer wouldn't boot when the ram was in dual channel mode. As I had originally thought, it must be a hardware issue, would you have any idea?

Edited by Draye, 21 November 2013 - 09:05 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At this point I am beginning to suspect a motherboard or cpu.
What do you mean by"

Ok so I have had one blue screen that went to 95

Advertisements

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
What I had meant was that the file dump saving percentage that appears on many stop errors.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
All the normal hardware possible issues we have checked which includes the video, HD and video. All the drivers should honestly be updated before I can say it is the motherboard.

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ok, I will pm you or post here when I am finished updating

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I moved the graphics card to a different pci slot and everything seems to be working fine so far.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm possibly a bit of dust in the slot that caused the card to not be seated correctly or maybe even a failing PCI slot. How long have you been running in the new slot with no issues now?