Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tremendous Windows 7 Boot problems

• Please log in to reply

Colorado7

Colorado7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Okay some further updates!

1) I ran SFC /scannow in command prompt and it gave me an error, but it was unable to fix it.
2) I ran Furmark's GPU Stress Test (1920x1080 8x MSAA) and I had some interesting results during the test. GPU and CPU load was 100 % or close to 100 %, while Memory % was only around 30 % ? And after the test was done and my system specs showed, the PC just crashed and went into flashing artifacts. By the way, I got about 18-19 FPS on average with the furry object in the middle - Im not sure that's exactly good or bad as I have nothing to compare it with.
http://imgur.com/6DvOHPj
http://imgur.com/LG6UqiM
Now this is sort of what happened with my old computer, I would get random crashes and artifacts like this. I have never gotten artifacts on my new computer except until now, as I have just had problems with the Kernel-Power 41 just showing no display and me having to do a hard shut down. I will try running the test again and see what happens.

Advertisements

Colorado7

Colorado7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Okay, I ran Furmark GPU stress test again and I highlighted something interesting!

http://imgur.com/prlJXyg

If you check out my red marking, it says that GPU core is 1136 mhz / 70C /99% ---- Ok, nothing unusual here I guess, the GPU is being stress tested after all. The reason the temperature started so high (at 55C) was because I had already ran a 15 minute stress test with 1920x1280 no MSAA.

But the interesting thing is after that ---- mem: 3505 mhz / 20 % --- 20 % really? This can't be normal? I'm not a memory expert but it could indicate something is wrong with my memory.

Also here is my score from the stress test. 2890 points.
http://imgur.com/GJf6R69

Oh and by the way, my computer crashed again after the stress test I just did when I opened the screenshot I took in fraps, which is also the photo I uploaded in this post. I got artifacts and had to shut down the PC.

Since I have 2 memory sticks (2x4GB) I will try to remove 1 now, and then run the same benchmark again. And then vice versa, I swap the current memory stick with the other one. I will results shortly.

Edited by Colorado7, 28 November 2013 - 07:07 AM.

Colorado7

Colorado7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hmmm - Not sure testing each memory stick separately accomplished much. Both show the exact same thing
mem: 3505 Mhz / 7 %
GPU is still 100 %

Score for the stress test was within +- 50 points of the original test with 2 memory sticks (2890).

After each test the FurMark showed that Memory clock was 3505 Mhz while System Memory was 8137 MB (2x4GB Ram) and 4041 MB (exactly this number for each memory stick separately).

Not sure what to do next...

Colorado7

Colorado7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok a few more updates.
I ran Prime 95 for 1 hour - it ran 95 tests = 0 errors and 0 warnings.
I also ran a full system scan with Avast Free Anti Virus.

Hmm - I have a theory. The 16th of November must have been the date I managed to get this computer up and running with Win7 installed according to the earlier events I can find in Event Viewer.
The first day I got the Kernel-Power 41 error was November 18th - the same day as I installed my Anti Virus. I will try uninstalling my antivirus and run some offline games for the rest of the day and see how it works.

Colorado7

Colorado7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
God F... [bleep] it, it still happened without the Anti virus installed. Seriously desperate as to what to do.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Sorry for the lack of response, have visitors and can't research properly.
Use System restore to go back to before you installed Reg Cure Pro. (In my experience, such programs cause more problems as against fixing things)
Play your games, do not stress test. If you get a grey screen and you feel the computer is still running, First, Try playing a music CD, Result please.
Post any error message.

Colorado7

Colorado7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Good day.
I don't have any system restore points but it's definitely not Reg Cure Pro that's causing any problems because I had this problem way before I installed it.
Like I said earlier, this problem started about 2 days after installing Win7 to my SSD. So I can't tell for sure if it's a hardware or a software problem.
Well, the problem when I get a grey screen is the fact that I can't click (or see) anything. For instance if I'll be running a game the game sound will be 100 % gone. And when I play Dota I usually play with sound on (from Itunes or webradio), it disappears 100 % as well. I can try alt-tabbing or CTRL ALT DEL but or F4 but nothing works. The computer becomes 100 % unresponsive and I have to no other option but to hard shut down. If I don't hard shut down the PC, it will just stay at the gray screen. One time I waited for 15 minutes but still nothing happened.

I have no clue what to do. I'm so frustrated because I barely installed anything at first when I got my PC up and running. Or if it is a hardware problem, so I can just go out and buy what is needed.

One noticable thing though: the problem has occurred much more lately. Look at this
http://i.imgur.com/8PdnAW6.png
The day I installed Win7 was November 16th.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

Earlier you said you thought the system was still sometimes active, (grey screen display)
On next freeze.
Please try playing a music CD.
What state the HDD LED?
Did you use DVD Rom to install MB drivers?
Did you update drivers from the MSI site?
Please go Device manager, Any warning symbols?
Expand sound Devices,, take a screen shot and include in your next reply.

Colorado7

Colorado7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Well techincally I can click NUM LOCK etc while the PC is 'frozen.' I tried the music CD but I couldn't get it to play but it might be because it's not auto play.
I did use DVD rom to install MB drivers (which came on the CD from the producer). Although I updated every single driver a few days ago from Driver Scanner. I had so many problems before I did it, and just as many after. I just tried to do it because I was desperate and had no other options at the time/

There aren't any warning symbols except three (3) unknown devices. Is this something to be worried about?
http://i.imgur.com/TQIV6nD.png

Colorado7

Colorado7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
By the way, here is some information which may or may not be useful for you.

During every single crash I can check the detailed information in Event Viewer. Every single tab of information shows this:
http://imgur.com/IqkFpdZ

But 1 of events show this (this is the only one), where you can see bug code etc.:
http://imgur.com/qANWyBK

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the updates.
Unknown Devices, don't think critical at this stage but here is one way to find out what they are, > http://www.wikihow.c...ices-in-Windows
Links about the Bug check display the same information.
Having no Restore Points makes troubleshooting for you more difficult, Have a look, then decide how far you want to go, > http://itexpertvoice...restore-points/

There is a known conflict with sound devices.
Please go device manager.
Select Nvidia High Definition Audio and Disable.
Restart Computer and test with a game. If Fail.
Go Device Manager.
Enable Nvidia High Definition Audio.
Select and disable High Definition Audio Device.Restart and test with a game.
nag,nag, It is always best to update drivers from the manufacturers hardware website, especially video drivers/software. Driver updates may not find an update from say, Cisco, but finds one from someone, marked Cisco compatible, and installs, (this computer, no Internet)

If still not fixed, will give a couple of hardware test to do.

Colorado7

Colorado7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for the help thus far.

The three unknown devices are:
1) Bluetooth for the motherboard(I did not install this from the driver CD nor do I need it whatsoever).
2) A pack for some USB drivers. Now that I came to think of it, some of the USB outputs on the back side of the cabinet does not work. This is likely why.
3) Also for a USB root hub. It took me to this link http://drivers.awdit..._0014/rev_0003/ but I could not find the actual ID for my particular product.
RENESAS_USB3\ROOT_HUB30&VID_1912%PID_0014
RENESAS_USB3\ROOT_HUB30&VID_1912%PID_0014&REV_0003
RENESAS_USB3\ROOT_HUB30&VID_1912%PID_0014&REV_0003%SID_77511462
I couldnt find any driver for them (all part 3).

I have tried disabling Nvidia HD Sound, so fingers crossed!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
our welcome, Posted Image
Lets hope we make some progress.
Have you looked through the restore point settings to se if they are enabled?
I suspect Driver Scanner for the unknown devices. After doing the other work and seeing if stable, you could disable the first two, 1 by 1, then test, but not the USB Hub, probable installed by the OS with a Microsoft driver and essential. Try just Roll Back Driver for that one then test the sockets.

Going to bed now.
Hooroo.

Colorado7

Colorado7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Unfortunately my PC just crashed after 2-3 hours of gaming. It was the same Kernel-Power 41 Event ID.
I checked the restore points and the earliest one is November 27th. I don't mind reformatting Win7 to get it work since I really dont have anything important that can't be replaced.

Now I will try to enable Nvidia HD Sound and disable High Definition Audio Device.

Since I installed 1 of the drivers for the 3 Unknown devices, this is now down to 2 Unknown Devices in Device manager.

I will post back if disabling the other Sound device will work, and if disabling the Unknown devices will work. Hopefully this works but I'm not too sure.

Colorado7

Colorado7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Bad news;
I tried:
- disabling Nvidia HD Audio and High Definition Audio Device each at a time, still crashed.
- disabling the 2 unknown devices, still crashed.